Fer fires Swans to opening-day victory

Burnley kicked off their return to the Premier League with a disappointing 1-0 home loss to Swansea at Turf Moor on Saturday afternoon.

  • Burnley 0 Swansea 1
  • Swansea make a bright start
  • Burnley look livelier in the second half
  • Fernandez misses from six yards out
  • Fer slots home in the 82nd minute

Match summary

The hosts started the match the brighter of the two sides and looked threatening from the start with their long-ball approach.

Swansea forward Fernando Llorente enjoyed a memorable debut, as he proved to be a menace with his aerial threat – almost scoring on a number of occasions.

The second half saw Burnley redouble their efforts, launching a number of attacks, although they found goalkeeper Fabianski in excellent form.

Leroy Fer eventually broke the deadlock for Swansea in the 82nd minute after reacting quickest to tap home from close range after Tom Heaton had blocked Llorente's goal-bound effort.

Full report

Burnley started the match on the front foot and looked threatening early on as they played long ball towards the attacking duo of Andre Gray and Sam Vokes.

Francesco Guidolin's side immediately responded and also looked threatening with their aerial balls towards debutant Fernando Llorente.

The 31-year-old was in the thick of things for the visitors and saw his tame header comfortably saved by Tom Heaton in the 12th minute. A horrible mistake by defender Ben Mee almost gifted the Spaniard the opener, but Heaton was equal to the task as he kept out yet another one of Llorente's shots.

However, Llorente almost netted an own-goal after defending a corner in the 27th minute, which left goalkeeper Lucasz Fabianski somewhat perplexed.
Wayne Routledge was presented with the best chance of the half as he saw his volley go wide from an acute angle, hitting a first-time shot from Modou Barrow's cross that flew inches wide of the Burnley goal.

The home side almost grabbed the opener against the run of play after turning defence into attack from Swansea's corner, but Gray's shot was parried away for a corner by Fabianski.

The second half began with Burnley once again looking particularly threatening with their long-ball approach. A brief spell in possession saw Burnley carve out an excellent opportunity for Dean Marney, whose resultant header landed on the roof of the net.

The hosts certainly seemed to up the tempo of their game, putting Swansea under pressure, with defender Jordi Armat being cautioned for a needless foul on Gray in the 54th minute.

Burnley once again wasted a glorious opportunity to open the scoring, after Fabianski's fumble in the danger area. The goalkeeper immediately made amends for his error after he raced out of his area to deny Gray with a perfectly-timed sliding tackle, before making another world-class save to keep the scores level.

The game's first substitution came in the 59th-minute when Gylfi Sigurddson replaced Leon Britton for the visitors. His introduction had a positive effect as the hosts launched a wave of attacks on the Burnley goal.

Swansea fans thought their side broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute after Sigurddson's long-range free-kick was parried directly into the path of Federico Fernandez, who somehow managed to miss with an open goal at his mercy.

The home side's wave of attacks eventually died down in the 70th minute, with both managers making a number of substitutions.

And just when it seemed the match would end goalless, Fer eventually broke the deadlock for Swansea in the 82nd minute after he was closest to prod home on the rebound after Llorente's shot was blocked by Heaton.

The hosts immediately responded by launching more attacks at the Swan goals, but the away team defended like their lives depended on it for the remainder of the game, as Swansea registered their first victory of the 2016/17 campaign.