Foxes stunned by newly-promoted Tigers

Premier League newcomers Hull City stunned defending champions Leicester city with a 2-1 victory at KCOM Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

  • Hull City 2 Leicester City 1
  • Vardy wastes two good chances
  • Diomande puts Hull in front
  • Mahrez equalises from the penalty spot
  • Snodgrass blasts in from edge of the area


Jamie Vardy failed to take advantage of two early opportunities, one shot from close range blocked by Jake Livermore and the second being flashed over the crossbar.

Adama Diomande was credited with the goal that put Hull City in front – Abel Hernandez also having gotten a touch to the ball. The striker controlled a save from Kasper Schmeichel with his chest and executed a neat bicycle kick to loop the ball over the keeper into the top-left corner.

Leicester City equalised seconds after the restart – Riyad Mahrez scoring from the penalty spot following a controversial decision from the referee. 

Robert Snodgrass restored Hull’s lead on 57 minutes, blasting in a volley after a poor throw from Kasper Schmeichel.

Full report

The Premier League new boys looked the sharper of the two sides in the opening minutes. They were also the first team with a shot on goal as Davies’ header from Snodgrass’ corner floated just wide.

Christian Fuchs and Ahmed Musa played a delightful one-two inside the area. The Austrian’s shot was neatly saved and the followup strike from Vardy was well blocked by a diving Jake Livermore.

The England striker was furious with himself soon after when he blasted the ball over the crossbar from inside the Hull area – Musa having set him up with an inch-perfect cutback pass.

Seconds before the half-time whistle, Hull City took the lead in spectacular fashion as Adama Diomande’s bicycle kick and Abel Hernandez overhead effort somehow combined to beat Kasper Schmeichel. The Dane had done extremely well to parry a fine header from Curtis away but he could not recover in time to avoid the goal.

Fourteen seconds into the second half Hull were somewhat unlucky to concede a penalty as the referee incorrectly adjudged Tom Huddlestone’s challenge on Demarai Gray to have happened inside the penalty area. Mahrez stepped up to equalise.

Hull responded with a second goal ten minutes later. Snodgrass found himself unmarked on the edge of the Leicester area following poor defending from the visitors and lashed a low volley into the bottom-right corner.

Mahrez had an effort easily saved by Eldin Jakupovic and Shinji Okazaki’s shot two minutes later was blasted well over the crossbar as the defending champions fought their way back into the game.

With nine minutes left, Schmeichel did well to keep his side in the match, pulling off a terrific reaction save form the excellent Snodgrass.

The Tigers had no problem seeing out the remaining eight minutes of the match, Jakupovic making a comfortable save from Danny Drinkwater’s rasping low strike.