Arsene Wenger is still hoping to strengthen his squad up front, while champions Leicester eye a young Brazilian star.
Gabriel Barbosa to Leicester (The Guardian)
According to The Guardian, the Foxes have made a £23.2m offer for Santos forward Gabriel Barbosa.
Despite being only 19, ‘Gabigol’ has already made over 150 first-team appearances for Santos since joining them at age 16, scoring more than 50 goals.
No way Leicester going for Gabriel Barbosa. Massive talent ?
— Anthony Ross (@ant_ross94) August 10, 2016
Barbosa is currently playing for Brazil at the Olympics, but it is understood that his agent is hard at work negotiating a move away from Santos.
Leicester face stiff competition for the striker’s signature, however, with Inter Milan and Juventus both said to be in the hunt as well.
We HAVE bid for Gabriel Barbosa, and I also saw this yesterday in a magazine. He wants a move to the Uk. pic.twitter.com/yesFXlE6CQ
— Leicester City News (@NEWSLCFC) August 10, 2016
Rumour rating: 5/10. Barbosa to Leicester remains a persistent rumour, and this latest report suggests their bid is the highest one currently on the table.
That could change very quickly, however, as the player’s agent Wagner Ribeiro has confirmed his future will only be resolved once the Olympic Games conclude.
“When the Olympics finish – with the gold medal, God willing – we will sit round the table and resolve his future,” Ribeiro said.
Wilfried Bony to Arsenal (The Daily Star<)
The Daily Star reports that the Gunners are set to launch a £30m bid for out-of-favour Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony.
The Ivorian did not a play a part in City’s 3-2 defeat to Arsenal in a pre-season friendly in Germany over the weekend, and City boss Pep Guardiola has hinted Bony probably is on the way out, after only describing him as a Manchester City player “at the moment”.
Factions within Arsenal are said to be urging Wenger to make a move for the former Swans man, with their options looking increasingly limited for the remainder of the transfer window.
The Star reports that Wenger is unconvinced, however, considering that Bony failed to make an impact at City following his £25m move from Swansea in January of last year.
2015: Wilfried Bony signs for citeh. Gooners ask why Arsenal didn’t buy him.
2016: Wilfred Bony linked to Arsenal. Gooners ask why?
— OBG (@OldBaldGooner) August 10, 2016
Rumour rating: 4/10. Nothing concrete to go on here, and reports have suggested that Everton and Bony’s former club Swansea are also interested in acquiring him.
It’s not really a surprise that several clubs are eyeing Bony. He may have had a quiet year with City, but 34 goals in 56 starts for Swansea the previous season suggest he is a more talented player than that.
Spendthrift Wenger might not see the value in shelling out £30m on the player, however, and he may even be right.
Juan Mata to Everton (De Telegraaf)
Ronald Koeman is plotting a move for Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata, according to a report from Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.
Mata is one of the players at Old Trafford whose future is thought to be up in the air following the arrival of Jose Mourinho.
Clubs all across Europe are said to be keeping a keen eye on developments at Manchester, and the Toffees are understood to be one of them.
If we manage to sign Mata, I couldn’t really care about any other signings. Would be ridiculously good. #EFC
— Royal Blue Everton (@RoyalBlueEFC) August 9, 2016
Rumour rating: 3/10. We don’t even know if Mata is definitely on the market, so this story certainly has lots more room to develop.
Everton have some money to spend after receiving in the region of £50m for defender John Stones, but Mata is far from the only player on their radar, with Swansea defender Ashley Williams and Sunderland defender Lamine Kone also thought to be two of their top targets.
Go to United and give them anything they want for Mata, need to give us something to be excited about!
— Everton Tickets (@EvertonSpare) August 9, 2016
Joao Mario to Inter Milan (Record)
Record reports that Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool may be set to miss out on target Joao Mario after Inter Milan launched a massive £42m offer.
Mario, who plays for Sporting Lisbon, has attracted plenty of interest since helping Portugal win Euro 2016.
The Reds have reportedly already had an initial bid of £33.5m rejected, and Inter are now said to be leading the race after upping the ante considerably and making a £42m offer.
— Simone Togna (@SimoneTogna) August 10, 2016
Rumour rating: 6/10. The report in the Inter offer appears legitimate, as it goes into more detail, including that the Italian side will pay £38.5m upfront, with a further £3.5m made up by bonuses.
Inter have also had a previous offer for the player rejected, so it’s clear they are serious in their intent to acquire his signature.