FC Bayern München boss Carlo Ancelotti has ruled out Bastian Schweinsteiger returning to the club this summer.
The Manchester United midfielder appears to have no place in the plans of new United boss Jose Mourinho, and was once again absent from the Red Devils squad that did duty at Wayne Rooney’s testimonial on Wednesday.
Having joined United from Bayern for £6.5 million ahead of the 2015/16 campaign after spending his entire professional career with the Bavarians, there have been suggestions that a return to the Allianz Arena may be on the cards. However, Ancelotti has poured cold water on such talk.
“In football there is no if. (Signing) Schweinsteiger is not in our ideas,” said the Italian.
“He was a fantastic player for Bayern, he was a fantastic player for football, but I think that it is not time for him to come back to Munich.”
The 32-year-old’s immediate future will reportedly be with the United reserves, with Mourinho said to have told the German to clear out his locker in the first-team dressing room earlier this week.