Palace put Canaries to the sword

Crystal Palace started their Premier League campaign in winning fashion as they recorded a 3-1 victory over Norwich City at Carrow Road on Saturday.

Norwich 1 Crystal Palace 3
Zaha breaks the deadlock on 39 minutes
Delaney doubles Palace's lead after half-time
Redmond pulls one back for Norwich
Cabaye seals the win in injury time

Match Summary

Palace opened their account six minutes before the half-time break thanks to Wilfried Zaha before doubling their advantage three minutes into the second half, Damien Delaney netting the all-important goal.

To their credit, Norwich didn't give up the fight and eventually drew level through Nathan Redmond's long-range strike on 69 minutes.

However, any hopes of a earning a late draw were scuppered in the fourth minute of injury time as Yohan Cabaye struck home to restore his side's two-goal advantage.

Full Report

The newly-promoted Canaries dominated the opening exchanges and created a handful of good chances in the first ten minutes.

Graham Dorrans, Alexander Tettey and Lewis Grabban all went close for the hosts but a lack of cutting edge in front of goal meant the scoreline would remain unchanged.

The visitors, who had struggled to impose themselves on proceedings early on, eventually lodged their first shot on goal in the 13th minute, but Jordon Mutch saw his goal-bound effort blocked by the defence.

The next chance of note arrived on the half-hour mark, although Glenn Murray's close-range effort was brilliantly kept out by Canaries keeper John Ruddy, with Joel Ward heading over from the follow-up.

Norwich hit back just two minutes later through Wes Hoolahan but the midfielder's left-footed shot from long range flew high and wide to the left.

The deadlock was eventually broken on 39 minutes following a well-worked Palace move. Jason Puncheon whipped in a cross from the right-hand flank and Zaha did well to connect at the back post with a side-footed volley that went in off Ruddy.

Palace continued to press forward as they went in search of a second and went close in the 42nd minute, Jordon Mutch seeing his shot from the centre of the box saved by the Norwich keeper.

However, they weren't to be denied three minutes after the half-time break as Delaney latched onto Pape Souaré's headed pass before slotting a right-footed shot into the bottom-left corner from the left side of the six-yard box.

Bradley Johnson and Lewis Grabban both had a chance to draw Norwich level shortly thereafter, but Palace keeper Alex McCarthy was up to the task, denying both efforts.

Norwich kept plugging away and their hard work eventually paid dividends in the 69th minute as Redmond latched onto a pass from Hoolahan before firing into the bottom-left corner from outside the box.

Cabaye went close to adding a third for Palace in the 85th minute when his effort from outside the area was saved by Ruddy.

However, the Frenchman was not to be denied in the dying moments of the match as he raced onto a through ball from James McArthur before slotting the ball past the onrushing keeper and into the back of the net.