Robben hopes De Bruyne snubs City

Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben believes that Kevin De Bruyne should stay at Wolfsburg and ignore the £45 million bid Manchester City have made for him. 

Even though Wolfsburg head coach Dieter Hecking is confident that the 24-year-old will stay at the Volkswagen Arena, there are increasing signs that De Bruyne is headed for the exit as just last week he was reported to have said: "I'm not one who says that I'm staying here – and in two weeks I'm off."

De Bruyne also missed training on Tuesday, intensifying speculation that his time with Wolfsburg is coming to an end. 

Robben has admitted that he would like to see De Bruyne stay in the Bundesliga as he is one of the strongest and most talented players playing in the league. 

"I want the good players of other clubs to stay in the Bundesliga," Robben told Algemeen Dagblad. "You could think: Mats Hummels could move, Ilkay Gundogan could move or Marco Reus could move from [Borussia] Dortmund, or Kevin De Bruyne could go from Wolfsburg, and that would be fine, because the competition gets weakened. But I want as much resistance as possible and I want the competition to be as attractive as possible.

"Since I've been at Bayern, I have seen the Bundesliga grow. The football is alive here. I don't want it to become lesser."

Robben also lashed out at the Premier League clubs for spending huge amounts of money to get the players they want, with no care for how their spending may impact other clubs.

"The kind of money English clubs have available to spend is unbelievable. They buy everything they can," he said. 

Comments