Stoke rally to hold Tottenham

Tottenham Hotspur threw away a two-goal lead to slump to a 2-2 draw against Stoke City at White Hart Lane on Saturday.

  • Tottenham 2 Stoke City 2
  • Stoke City fight back to earn a draw
  • Dier and Chadli score for Spurs
  • Arnautovic and Diouf rescue a point
  • Kane substituted after being injured

Match summary

Eric Dier opened the scoring midway through the first-half when he headed in at a corner to cap a period of Spurs dominance, and Nacer Chadli doubled the lead with a stunning volley in stoppage time.

Stoke then threw caution to the win in the second-half, and their gambles paid off when Marko Arnautovic halved the deficit from the penalty spot and Mame Diouf glanced in a header to steal a point.

Full report

Spurs had the first real chance of the game when the ball fell to attacker Christian Eriksen, who drove into the box and forced a save from Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland in the eighth minute.

The Potters managed to clear their lines from the resulting corner kick but Spurs flooded forward when back in possession and won a free kick on the edge of the box.

Eriksen called Butland into action once more, with a shot driven across goal, but Spurs were again unable to force an opening from the subsequent corner.

The hosts almost gifted Stoke the lead in the 12th minute of the match, when a defensive error in the box allowed Mame Diouf to shoot from close range on the right of goal. However, Hugo Lloris proved equal to the task.

The deadlock was broken in the 19th minute when Dier, playing in central midfield for the second game in a row, rose highest at a corner to nod the ball home from close range.

Spurs came close to doubling the lead in the 37th minute when a raking pass over Stoke’s defence put Chadli clean through, but a poor first touch from the Belgian allowed Butland to collect with ease.

The game became increasingly open as half-time approached and Stoke were next to fluff their lines when presented with a scoring opportunity in the 37th minute.

John Walters headed a ball to Diouf at the far post and though the Senegal striker was able to reach the pass, his powerful header was directed straight at Lloris.

The Lilywhites eventually doubled their lead in stoppage time, when a marauding Ben Davies sent in a cross from the left flank and Chadli volleyed beyond a helpless Butland.

The match took a different shade in the second half as Stoke surged forward and Spurs sat back; soaking up pressure and counter-attacking at every opportunity.

Stoke started to find the chinks in their hosts’ armor around the 60th minute when Marko Arnautovic cut in from the right and hit the target.

Diouf then wasted his third chance in the 67th minute; meeting a cross from substitute Stephen Ireland at the far post but heading directly at Lloris again.

When Stoke finally did find the back of the net, there was a touch of good fortune about the goal. The referee judged Toby Alderweireld to have fouled substitute Joselu in the box in the 77th minute. Arnautovic stepped up and stroked the ball beyond Lloris.

Stoke finally found an equaliser in the 83rd minute when Ireland and Diouf combined again. This time the forward was able to glance his header into the bottom left corner.

Neither side was able to create any further chances in what remained of the match, and the points were shared.