Impressive Foxes edge feisty Hammers

Leicester City made it two wins from two with a 2-1 win over West Ham United in a feisty affair at Upton Park on Saturday afternoon.

  • West Ham 1 Leicester 2
  • Okazaki opens the scoring
  • Mahrez doubles advantage
  • Payet offers seconf-half hope
  • Adrian sent off for violent conduct

Match Summary

Shinji Okazaki and Riyad Mahrez both scored in a clinical opening half for Leicester, despite West Ham seeing most of the ball.

After being denied what looked like a clear penalty at the end of the first half, Dimitri Payet gave West Ham hope with his strike early in the second half.

The Hammers then had goalkeeper Adrian sent off in added time at the end of the game for a terrible foul on Jamie Vardy after going up for a corner.

Full Report

West Ham started off the better of the two sides and were desperately close to opening the scoring after just two minutes, Reece Oxford heading over from a Dmitri Payet free kick.

Despite the good start from the Hammers, it was Leicester who opened the scoring on 26 minutes when Okazaki got on the end of a rebound and headed home after forcing a save with a volley from a delicious Jamie Vardy ball into the box.

And the Foxes made it 2-0 10 minutes later, Vardy cutting the ball back to Mahrez, who made no mistake firing into the top right-hand corner with his first-time shot.

West Ham, though, were denied a stonewall penalty on the cusp of half-time after Diafra Sakho collided with Kasper Schmeichel after lifting the ball over the Leicester stopper in the box.

The referee, though, was having none of it and was quite unimpressed with Sakho going to ground after the incident.

Payet then gave the Hammers a little bit of hope nine minutes into the second half, firing into the top corner for his first Premier League goal after having an initial effort blocked by a teammate.

The game turned sour in added time at the end of the 90 after West Ham stopper was sent off for a high kick on Vardy after coming up for a late corner.

There were further clashes as the game went a further five minutes into added time, but the Hammers failed to register another goalscoring opportunity.