Watford brush Norwich aside

Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo were on target as Watford fought their way to a 2-0 win over Norwich City at Vicarage Road on Saturday.

  • Watford 2 Norwich City 0
  • Deeney strikes from the spot
  • Ighalo's goal incorrectly ruled out
  • Ighalo seals the points in stoppage time

Match Summary

Watford took a 30th-minute lead through Troy Deeney's confident penalty after Alexander Tettey fouled Odion Ighalo in the box just as he was put through by Etienne Capoue.

The Hornets had the ball in the net a second time five minutes before the break when Allan Nyom found Ighalo, who buried his effort but saw the assistant's flag incorrectly raised for offside.

Ighalo continued to boss the Norwich defence in the second half with an excellent centre-forward display, and finally had his reward in stoppage time when he tucked it past Declan Rudd to wrap up victory for the Hornets.

Full Report

Watford went ahead just before the half-hour mark when Alexander Tettey brought down Odion Ighalo in the box just as the Nigerian striker was put through on goal by Etienne Capoue.

Captain Troy Deeney stepped up to the spot and sent Declan Rudd the wrong way, becoming the first Watford player to score in four consecutive Premier League games.

The Hornets should have taken a two-goal lead in at the break when Odion Ighalo had his goal erroneously ruled out for offside. Allan Nyom's header across goal was met by the Nigerian with a neat finish, but the flag was up.

Watford came close to doubling their lead in the 61st minute when Dieumerci Mbokani, who came on for  Nathan Redmond at halftime, failed to get proper connection on Robbie Brady's ball in as a he tussled with his marker.

Ighalo was at his dominant best again in the second period and forced a good save out of Rudd after Capoue had set him up, with the young keeper quick off his line to deal with the danger.

Ighalo continued to be the protagonist for Watford, winning his battles with Norwich defenders Sebastien Bassong and Ryan Bennett and forcing Rudd into more saves before appealing for a penalty after a tussle with Bassong.

Watford's narrow lead was threatened when the ref signalled for six minutes of stoppage time, but the Hornets wrapped up the points just one minute into that through the deserving Ighalo, who beat Bassong and finally got the better of Rudd.