Frankfurt defeat Nurnberg to rescue Bundesliga status

Eintracht Frankfurt produced a gritty performance away from home as a 1-0 victory over Nurnberg on Monday night secured a 2-1 aggregate win and their Bundesliga safety.

  • Nurnberg 0 Frankfurt 1
  • Play-off first leg ended in 1-1 draw
  • First half ends goalless
  • Seferovic nets crucial goal for Frankfurt
  • Frankfurt win 2-1 on aggregate

Match summary

The first half was an action-packed affair, with both sides creating their fair share of goal-scoring chances. However, it ended in a stalemate, despite Frankfurt ending the half with a flurry of good opportunities to score.

The visitors carried their momentum over into the second half, though, eventually breaking the deadlock through Switzerland international Haris Seferovic in the 66th minute.

Nurnburg failed to muster a response, however, as Frankfurt shut up shop in the latter stages of the match to secure their league safety with a 2-1 aggregate victory.

Full report

The first half started at a sedate pace, with the two sides sizing each other up in the opening ten minutes of the encounter.

However, the match sprang to life in the 12th minute when Nurnberg created two chances in quick succession, Niclas Füllkrug and Sebastian Kerk going close to breaking the deadlock.

Frankfurt hit back with two chances of their own, but Haris Seferovic headed over from Szabolcs Huszt’s inviting cross in the 18th minute, before Timothy Chandler shot over direct from a free-kick just one minute later.

There was plenty more action to come, though, as both sides went in search of the all-important goal.

After failing to hit the target through Dave Bulthuis on 26 minutes, Nurnberg struggled to impose themselves on proceedings as Frankfurt dominated the latter stages of the first half.

The visitors, knowing they needed an away goal to bolster their chances of beating the drop, created a series of good goal-scoring opportunities.

Nurnberg keeper Raphael Schäfer was equal to the task, however, denying Seferovic on two separate occasions as well as Anis Ben-Hatira and Szabolcs Huszti as the first half ended goalless.

While the first half had produced a plethora of chances, that was most certainly not the case in a cagey second half.

Frankfurt started on the front foot, lodging their first effort on goal in the 50th minute, although Marco Fabián’s shot from outside the box flew high and wide.

They again threatened to score just moments before the hour mark, Schäfer doing to well to keep out Alexander Meier’s headed effort from the centre of the danger area.

However, there was nothing he could do to keep his clean sheet intact in the 66th minute, as Seferovic converted from close range following some good work by Mijat Gacinovic in the build up.

Having finally claimed the crucial away goal, Frankfurt closed ranks in a bid to protect their slender lead.

Nurnberg redoubled their efforts after conceding the goal as they went in search of the equaliser, but efforts from Rúrik Gíslason and Füllkrug failed to find the mark as the visitors held on to claim a narrow win, securing their Bundesliga safety in the process.