Hull dig in to reach play-off final

Hull City are in the play-off final for Premier League promotion despite losing 2-0 to Derby County at the KC Stadium on Tuesday, winning 3-2 on aggregate.

  • Hull City 0 (3) Derby County 2 (2)
  • Russell pulls on back early on
  • Robertson own goal sets up tense finale
  • Hull reach play-off final against Sheffield Wednesday

Match Summary

Derby started the match trailing 3-0 on aggregate, and therefore knew that they needed to get the goals flowing quickly to get back into the tie, and that’s exactly what happened in just the seventh minute when Johnny Russell pulled the first goal back.

The game was properly on in the 36th minute when Andrew Robertson poked it into his own net when trying to defend a fizzy low cross from Andreas Weimann, but the Rams were unable to continue their  comeback in the second half, and will be spending another season in the Championship.

Full Report

The visitors got off to a fluting start in the seventh minute when Chris Martin met Cyrus Christie’s cross at the far post, heading it back across goal for Johnny Russell to fire in on the rebound after his initial header was blocked by Curtis Davies.

After the goal, the Rams suddenly had their opponents on the back foot and looking slightly rattled, and the home fans had good reason to be nervy when a free kick was earned just on the edge of the home side’s penalty area, and Russell dusted himself off to go for goal, and fire his effort just off target.

Derby had another free kick on the edge of the box just past the half-hour mark, but this one was taken unsuccessfully by Jeff Hendrick.

Hull burst down the other end soon afterwards and the ball fell to Moses Odubajo in the box, but he was surrounded by defenders and unable to get a shot away before Jake Livermore got a chance to pull the trigger and sent it wide.

Derby pulled their second goal back in the 36th minute, when Andreas Weimann sent a delicious low ball across goal from the left flank that Andrew Robertson poked into his own net, having been put in a very awkward position facing his goal.

The Rams had a chance for their third just five minutes after the break when Craig Bryson just couldn’t get a proper touch on Weimann’s cross, and almost got lucky with another own goal when Michael Dawson deflected Tom Ince’s shot wide of goal, while Martin’s effort soon afterwards forced Eldin Jakupovic into a save.

The Tigers could have wrapped it up in the 89th minute when Scott Carson was forced into a save at his near post from a Robert Snodgrass free kick, but five minutes of nerve-wracking injury time later and the Hull fans were celebrating their place in the play-off final.