Qatar win despite Hong Kong fight-back

Qatar recorded a 3-2 victory over Hong Kong in their 2018 World Cup and 2019 Asian Cup qualifier at the Mong Kok Stadium on Tuesday.

The result means Djamel Belmadi's side moves to the top of the Group B with nine points while Hong Kong is in second on seven points alongside China, having played one more match.

The hosts started the better of the two sides and had the first clear chance of the match in the ninth minute when Jaimes McKee's effort was cleared off the lIne after the forward was found in space by han Siu-ki.

Kim Pan-gon's outfit soon found themselves behind, though, albeit somewhat unfortunately.

In the 20th minute, a free-kick inside the penalty area was awarded to Qatar after goal-keeper Yapp Hung-fai was penalised for carrying the ball slightly outside his area. 

The set piece was forced behind for a corner and from the resulting set piece, Karim Boudiaf's looping header found the back of the net.

For the remainder of the first half, Qatar continued to dominate possession and threatened to double their one more than one occasion with crosses from either flank troubling the hosts' defense.

After the half-time break, Qatar went close twice through Hasan Al Haydos and Abdelkarim Hassan, and on 62 minutes, got the second goal their dominance deserved.

Abdelkarim once again crossed the half-way line from the left flank and after his initial effort was cleared, he latched onto the rebound and rifled the ball into the left corner.

In the 83rd minute, Qatar appeared to wrap up the three points when Abdelkarim once again surged forward and powered a shot goalwards. Yapp parried the effort, but only as far as Mohamed Musa, who made no mistake to with the tap-in.

To their credit, Hong Kong didn't lose hope of a comeback and with four minutes remaining in regulation time, pulled one of the goals back.

After winning a free-kick in Qatar's half, Cheung Kin-fung launched the ball goalwards and Jean Kilama layed it off to Bai He, who found the back of the net from close range.

Three minutes later, the score was 3-2 after the hosts were awarded another free-kick in the Qatar half and proceeded to launch it goalwards once again.