Reid delivers a hammer blow to United

Winston Reid’s late header damaged Manchester United’s chances of a top-four finish as they went down 3-2 to West Ham at the last-ever game at the Boleyn Ground.

  • West Ham United 3-2 Manchester United
  • Sakho deflects opener via Daley Blind
  • Hosts dominate first-half with wave of attacks
  • Martial scores brace just after the break
  • Antonio and Reid give Hammers victory

Match Summary

The Hammers started the game with a team playing with crisp passing and an attacking intent that has eluded their opponents, United, for most of the season.

Diafra Sakho grabbed the opener via a deflection off Daley Blind to send the hosts into the break one-up.

Anthony Martial’s second-half brace looked set to have earned United a Champions League spot to hold onto going into the final game of the season but Dimitri Payet provided two late assists as Michael Antonio and Winston Reid handed Slaven Bilic’s side to a dramatic victory, and European football, in the final game at Upton Park.

Full Report

As West Ham prepare to move to the Olympic Stadium next season – this game marked a significant moment in the ground’s 112-year history.

Bilic would have urged his squad to remain focused amongst all the emotion and fanfare in and around the stadium and they did just that with attacking intent against one of the Premier League’s giants.

United knew a result would see them within a great chance of qualifying for the last Champions League spot ahead of fierce rivals Manchester City.

Sakho sent the home fans into jubilation when he opened the scoring as early as the 10th minute – after some neat build up play from midfield, Lanzini provided the perfect cut-back for the French forward to guide home the ball albeit via a Daley Blind deflection, past an outstretched David De Gea.

Bilic’s side dominated proceedings with a wave of attacks as the home support backed their team in an electrifying atmosphere.

Payet and Andy Carroll both had great chances to double their advantage but failed to capitalise on lapses of concentration amongst the United back-four – and the two clubs went into the break with a 1-0 scoreline.

Louis Van Gaal clearly had some harsh words to say during half-time as United looked a totally different side in the second stanza.

Martial’s two second-half stunners looked to have set the visitors onto victory as they led for the first time in the match, knowing three points would put them above City.

However, Payet provided two late assists to provide the Upton Park faithful a winning end to an era at the stadium.

The first was a inch-perfect cross after Payet’s initial free-kick came back off the defensive wall – setting up Antonio to head home past a dejected De Gea.

The goal spurred the hosts on and despite some thrilling end-to-end to end football, Reid headed the Hammers into a 3-2 lead 10 minutes from time to send the home support into a state of euphoria.