Swans cruise to victory over Hammers

West Ham United saw their Champions League hopes all but ended following a surprise 4-1 defeat to Swansea City at Upton Park on Saturday afternoon.

  • West Ham United 1 Swansea City 4
  • Routledge fires the Swans in front
  • Ayew doubles visitors’ lead
  • Ki nets Swansea’s third after half-time
  • Kingsley own goal hands Hammers a lifeline
  • Gomis nets visitors’ fourth at the death

Match summary

The hosts looked dangerous in the opening exchanges, going close to grabbing the lead on several occasions, but it was the Swans who claimed the lead in the 25th minute through Wayne Routledge, before André Ayew doubled their advantage a few minutes later.

Ki Sung-yueng added a third for the Swans early in the second half, but West Ham were given some hope when Kingsley put the ball past his own keeper in the 68th minute.

However, it proved to be nothing more than a consolation as substitute Bafetimbi Gomis slotted home in the third minute of injury time to restore Swansea’s three-goal advantage.

Great performance, lads! Well done?? | @whufc_official 1 – 4 #Swans

A photo posted by Swansea City AFC Official (@swansofficial) on

Full report

The hosts started brightly and forced Swans keeper into action early on, with Lukasz Fabianski doing well to keep out efforts from Dimitri Payet and Winston Reid in the opening five minutes.

The Hammers continued to press forward in search of the opener as Mark Noble and Payet failed to hit the target with their respective efforts on goal.

However, it was Swansea who claimed the lead against the run of play in the 25th minute, Routledge converting from close range following some good work in the build up by Kyle Naughton.

West Ham were still reeling from the opening goal when Swansea struck again six minutes later, Ayew slotting home with a right-footed effort following Stephen Kingsley’s searching cross into the danger area.

After a brief lull in play, West Ham eventually regained their composure in the closing stages of the half, creating series of good chances.

However, Payet was again denied by Fabianski, before Andy Carroll and Manuel Lanzini fired wide of the mark in injury time.

Any hopes of mounting a second-half comeback were dealt a damaging blow in the 51st minute as Ki Sung-yueng added his name to the scoresheet for the Swans, firing into the bottom-right corner from the centre of the box.

Ki Sung-Yueng celebrates making it 3-0 at the Boleyn Ground. #WHUSWA

A photo posted by Swansea City AFC Official (@swansofficial) on

The Hammers were handed a way back into the contest in the 68th minute, though, after Kingsley deflected Diafro Sakho’s shot into his net.

The goal did little to lift the spirits of the hosts, however, as Swansea continued to dominate proceedings as the second half wore on.

And the Swans rubbed further salt in the wounds of West Ham in the third minute of injury time as Gomis fired into the bottom-left corner after latching onto a neat pass from the irrepressible Ayew.