Baines winner eases pressure on Martinez

Leighton Baines’ second-half winner helped ease the pressure on manager Roberto Martinez as Everton beat Bournemouth 2-1 at a hostile Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon.

  • Everton 2-1 Bournemouth
  • Cleverly opens the scoring
  • Pugh equalises seconds later
  • Toffees fans chant ‘Time to go Roberto’
  • Baines nets 64th-minute winner

Match summary

The fixture started at a frantic pace with two goals scored within the first ten minutes. Tom Cleverly put the home side ahead after some neat foot work, setting himself up to stroke the ball past Artur Boruc.

And seconds later, Cherries midfielder Marc Pugh grabbed his side an equaliser. After a powerful run by forward Josh King, the former Manchester United man sent in a fizzing cross that rebounded into the path of Pugh, who then had the simple task of tapping back across into an empty net.

The game lost some of it’s sting after the early action, but mid-way through the second half, Everton stalwart Leighton Baines found the winner with a deft finish.

Full report

Two goals within the first ten minutes of the fixture looked to set-up a memorable game within a hostile Goodison Park.

The Everton fans made their frustrations known with chants and banners of ‘Martinez out’ and ‘Time to go Roberto’ all around the ground.

Despite their frustrations, midfielder Tom Cleverly gave the home side something to cheer about within the first ten minutes of the fixture after some neat footwork on the edge of the area, the former Manchester United man striking a clean shot across an outstretched Artur Boruc and into the bottom right corner of his goal.

Barely seconds later, Marc Pugh leveled matters for the Cherries. Josh King’s powerful run saw him get the better of two Everton defenders and his fizzing ball into the area reached Pugh fortunately via a deflection, giving the midfielder an easy task of tapping the ball past a disgruntled Tim Howard.

Ten minutes before the break was the next action in what turned into a dull half of football – Ross Barkley, nicely fed by Niasse, wriggled towards the area but then scooped his shot a long way over, which was then greeted by ‘Time to go Roberto’ chants once again.

There were a few boos greeting the half-time whistle, but all a bit half-hearted – in keeping with a dull first half that didn’t live up to its early promise.

Five minutes after the break Steve Cook’s challenge on Ross Barkley saw the Bournemouth defender clipped by a trailing boot, which required treatment in what seemed like a chest injury, but the robust centre-back managed to soldier back onto the field of play.

After a long period of no real chances Leighton Baines restored the lead against the run of play.

A bobbling Aaron Lennon cross from the right found the attacking left-back on the other side of the area, and he made no mistake, smashing it past Boruc from an acute angle.

Bournemouth later had strong penalty claim when John Stones clashed with Callum Wilson, appearing to catch him with his arm. Referee Neil Swarbrick waved the claims away, but the Everton defender had the look of a man who knew he had committed a foul.

Benik Afobe and Wilson had chances to score late on, but the Toffees defence remained resolute and secured a much needed victory for their Spanish boss.