Gladbach delay Bayern’s title celebrations

FC Bayern München were forced to delay their title celebrations on Saturday afternoon as VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach rallied from behind to secure a 1-1 draw at the Allianz Arena.

  • Bayern 1 Mönchengladbach 1
  • Muller fires Bayern ahead on 6 mins
  • Hahn levels matters after half-time
  • Bayern’s title celebrations on hold
  • Gladbach keep Champions League hopes alive

Match summary

Bayern appeared to be on their way to victory after claiming the lead early on through Thomas Muller, who had been forced to watch from the bench as the defending German champions lost to Atletico Madrid in the Champions League in midweek.

However, Pep Guardiola’s men were unable to add to the early advantage as a gritty Gladbach outfit quickly clawed their way back into contention.

And the visitors left the home support in stunned silence when André Hahn smashed a driven effort into the bottom-right corner on 70 minutes, delaying Bayern’s Bundesliga title party in the process.

Full time. It'll have to wait another week after #FCBayern draw 1-1… #FCBBMG

A photo posted by FC Bayern Official (@fcbayern) on

Full report

The hosts made a perfect start to the encounter, with Thomas Muller giving Guardiola a timely reminder of his quality after converting from close range following a well taken corner.

However, Mönchengladbach quickly recovered from the early setback and managed to nullify the threat of the champions elect from much of the opening 45 minutes.

The visitors’ best chance arrived on 17 minutes when André Hahn wriggled clear of his marker in the box, only for the goalkeeper Manuel Neuer to save the midfielder’s headed effort in the bottom-right corner.

In a half of few chances, Bayern eventually notched their second effort on target in the 33rd minute, but Muller was denied a second by Gladbach keeper Yann Sommer.

The last chance of note fell to Hahn, but he was unable to capitalise on the chance as his shot from 35 yards flew harmlessly over the bar.

Having failed to cause Bayern any real problems in the first half, Gladbach gave a better account of themselves after the half-time break.

Efforts from Granit Xhaka and Hahn very nearly put the visitors back on level terms before they eventually got the breakthrough they were looking for in the 72nd minute. Hahn latched onto a pass from substitute Lars Stindl before firing a shot past Neuer and into the bottom-right corner.

Jaaaaa! André #Hahn mit dem Ausgleich! #Fohlenelf #FCBBMG #Borussia #Mönchengladbach

A photo posted by Borussia Mönchengladbach (@borussia) on

The equaliser sparked a reaction from the hosts, with Juan Bernat and Thiago Alcántara both firing high and wide, before Douglas Costa forced Sommer into action on 80 minutes.

Bayern continued to pour forward in a bid to snatch a winner, but were unable to find a way past an obstinate Gladbach defence as Thiago fired over in the 84th minute, before Muller saw his goal-bound header saved by Sommer three minutes from full-time.

Ein Punkt beim @FCBayern – damit spielt die #Fohlenelf nächste Saison wieder europäisch! #FCBBMG #Borussia #Mönchengladbach

A photo posted by Borussia Mönchengladbach (@borussia) on