Leicester hammer Swansea

Leicester City continued their march towards the Premier League title after cruising to a 4-0 victory over Swansea City at the King Power Stadium on Sunday.

  • Leicester City 4 Swansea City 0
  • Mahrez opens the scoring
  • Ulloa adds a brace either side of half-time
  • Albrighton makes it 4-0 late on

Match summary

Despite being without the services of suspended striker Jamie Vardy, Leicester’s top scorer on 22 goals, the home side were rarely troubled as stand-in Leonardo Ulloa bagged a brace after Riyad Mahrez had broken the deadlock in the 10th minute.

And Leicester rubbed further salt in the wounds of the Swans in the final five minutes of the clash as Marc Albrighton slotted home to make it 4-0.

Full report

There were some lingering doubts over Leicester’s ability to get a positive result in the absence of Vardy, but they were quickly dispelled as the Foxes claimed the lead after just ten minutes of play, Mahrez skipping past a challenge before firing into the bottom-right corner from the centre of the area.

Following a brief lull in play, Leicester began to turn the screws, going close to doubling their lead in the 27th minute as Christian Fuchs forced a save from Swans keeper Lukasz Fabianski.

However, they weren’t to be denied three minutes later as Ulloa headed into the bottom-left corner from Danny Drinkwater’s inviting cross to make it 2-0 to Claudio Ranieiri’s men.

Fuchs again went close to adding his name to the scoresheet in the 34th minute, but was again denied by Fabianski.

Swansea eventually lodged their first noteworthy effort on goal in the 42nd minute, but Gylfi Sigurdsson fired just wide of left-hand post with a curling free-kick.

The Swans brought on Alberto Paloschi and Jefferson Montero for Leroy Fer and Wayne Routledge at the half-time break, but the double change did little to stem the Leicester tide.

However, it could have been a different story if Andre Ayew had managed to find the back of the net with his header in the 48th minute.

He was made to rue that missed chance as Leicester stretched further ahead on the hour mark, Ulloa converting from close range following some good work in the build up by Jeffrey Schlupp.

Despite boasting a comfortable advantage, Leicester didn’t let up, threatening to extended their lead through efforts from Fuchs, Schlupp and Shinji Okazaki.

After piling on the pressure for a sustained period, Leicester eventually got their fourth in the 85th minute as substitute Albrighton slotted home on the follow-up after Fabianski had blocked Demarai Gray’s stinging effort.

The result sees Leicester move eight points clear at the summit of the Premier League table, with second-placed Tottenham set to face West Brom at White Hart Lane on Monday evening.