Mönchengladbach see off resurgent Hoffenheim

VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach reignited their Champions League qualification hopes after recording a 3-1 victory over TSG 1899 Hoffenheim at Borussia-Park on Sunday afternoon.

  • Monchengladbach 3 Hoffenheim 1
  • Toljan own-goal hands hosts the lead
  • Hahn effort strikes the post
  • Dahoud bags Mönchengladbach’s second
  • Kramaric pulls one back for Hoffenheim
  • Hahn restores Mönchengladbach’s two-goal lead

Match summary

Mönchengladbach were handed an early lead when Jeremy Toljan put the ball in his own net in the seventh minute, and they doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time as Mahmoud Dahoud converted with aplomb from the centre of the box.

Andrej Kramaric briefly gave the visitors some hope when he reduced the deficit in the 54th minute, only for André Hahn to restore the hosts’ two-goal advantage in the 61st minute.

Full report

Hoffenheim came flying out of the traps and very nearly claimed the lead inside the first minute of play, Nadiem Amiri firing wide of the right-hand post with a speculative effort from outside the area.

The hosts were quick to respond, though, with Andreas Christensen somehow failing to find the net with a headed effort from the right-hand side of the six-yard box in the fourth minute.

However, The Foals got the breakthrough they were looking for just three minutes later, when a period of sustained pressure led to Toljan putting the ball past his own keeper.

They continued to apply the pressure and went close through efforts from Hahn and Mahmoud Dahoud, before Hoffenheim managed to regain their composure.

Hoffenheim were unlucky not to draw level in the 21st minute as Mark Uth failed to find a way past Monchengladbach keeper Yann Sommer from just six yards out, while Andrej Kramaric was also denied by the gloveman three minutes later.

It was the hosts who ended the first half in the ascendancy, though, with Hahn striking the left post in the 42nd minute, before Dahoud converted from the centre of the penalty area on the stroke of half-time.

After a slow start to the second stanza, the match sprang to life in the 51st minute when Ibrahima Traore forced a save from Hoffenheim keeper Oliver Baumann.

However, the home support was left in stunned silence just three minutes later as Kramaric latched onto a pass from Kevin Volland before firing into the bottom-right corner from the centre of the box.

The goal sparked an immediate response from the hosts, who hit back through efforts from Oscar Wendt and Andreas Christensen, before Hahn added his name to the scoresheet with a smart finish from the right-hand side of the box following a quick counter-attack.

Hoffenheim redoubled their efforts in a bid to reduce the deficit once more, with Sommer called into action with increasing regularity as the second half wore on.

However, the visitors were unable to find a way past the Swiss keeper, who did well to deny goal-bound efforts from Kevin Volland, Tobias Strobl and Kramaric.

And with the match heading into injury time, Gladbach tightened the screws, very nearly adding to their advantage as Jonas Hofmann and Dahoud fired wide of the target.