Man Utd reach final as Martial breaks Everton hearts

Anthony Martial's dramatic last-minute goal settled a pulsating FA Cup semi-final as Manchester United beat Everton 2-1 at Wembley on Saturday.

  • Manchester United 2 Everton 1
  • Martial bags stoppage-time winner
  • Fellaini had given United lead
  • Smalling own goal draws Everton level
  • Lukaku penalty saved by De Gea

Match Summary

A thorn in Everton's side throughout, Martial broke Everton's hearts with a cool finish after finding himself through on goal.

Marouane Fellaini had given Manchester United a deserved lead in the 34th minute, but Everton largely dominated the second half and should have equalised when Timothy Fosu-Mensah was adjudged to have fouled Ross Barkley in the area, only for David de Gea to save Romelu Lukaku's penalty.

The Toffees were eventually rewarded for their enterprising play when Chris Smalling turned substitute Gerard Deulofeu's cross into his own goal and pushed for a winner, but Martial was on hand to deny them at the death.

FT: Everton 1 #mufc 2. We're through to the FA Cup final! ???

A video posted by Manchester United (@manchesterunited) on

Full report

United, improved in recent weeks, went into the match as firm favourites against an Everton side coming off the back of a 4-0 thumping in the Merseyside derby against Liverpool.

Under-pressure manager Roberto Martinez was forced into fielding a patched up defence with central midfielder Muhamed Besic utilised at right-back.

And Martinez must have feared the worst as United took control of the first half, although Lukaku was guilty of spurning two good chances with poor touches, the first of which Wayne Rooney eventually cleared off the line.

Jesse Lingard, Martial and Marcus Rashford all wasted chances, before Fellaini opened the scoring against his former club, finishing at the near post after excellent work down the left from Martial.

Marouane @Fellaini celebrates after slotting home against his former club. 1-0 to #mufc! ??

A photo posted by Manchester United (@manchesterunited) on

Winger Lingard had a good chance to double United's lead, but sliced his shot from the edge of the area.

And from that moment on, the momentum drastically swung in Everton's favour.

As the Toffees broke, Fosu-Mensah dived in on Barkley, and while the youngster got a portion of the ball, he also brought down the midfielder with a scything tackle.

Lukaku looked confident as he stepped up to take the resulting penalty, but his powerful effort was too close to De Gea, who got down to his right well to parry the ball away.

Penalty saved! ?? #DaveSaves #mufc

A photo posted by Manchester United (@manchesterunited) on

Chances began to fall Everton's way at regular intervals, and former United man Tom Cleverley blazed over at the back post, while Lukaku missed yet another chance when heading over with Besic perhaps better placed to score.

The underdogs eventually equalised in the 75th minute as Chris Smalling's awkward attempted clearance flew in at De Gea's near post after substitute winger Deulofeu has injected further energy and endeavour into the Toffees.

Openings continued to fall to Lukaku, but United regained a foothold late on, and in stoppage time the ball broke to Martial, who kept his composure to slide a cool finish past Joel Robles and send the Red Devils into the final.

United will play either Crystal Palace or Watford in the final on 21 May.

When you score the injury-time winner…?? #mufc

A photo posted by Manchester United (@manchesterunited) on