Red Devils march on in the FA Cup

Manchester United secured a 2-1 win over West Ham United at the Boleyn Ground on Wednesday night to secure their passage into the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

  • West Ham 1 Manchester United 2
  • Goalless at half time
  • Rashford stunner breaks the deadlock
  • Fellaini adds the second
  • Tomkins pulls one back
  • Kouyate has late goal disallowed

Match Summary

West Ham and Manchester United traded blows in an evenly-matched first half in their FA Cup sixth round replay, but the score remained goalless at half time.

After the break Red Devils youngster Marcus Rashford scored a lovely goal in the 54th minute to break the deadlock, before Marouane Fellaini put the visitors 2-0 up by diverting an Anthony Martial shot past Darren Randolph in the 66th minute.

James Tomkins pulled one back for the hosts in the 78th minute to set up a grandstand finish to an enthralling cup tie.

Cheikhou Kouyate thought he'd brought his side level with one minute left on the clock, but his strike was correctly ruled out for offside as Manchester United advance to the final four of the FA Cup.

Full Report

The Red Devils began the game well and West Ham couldn't get anywhere near the ball in the opening exchanges.

Fellaini had the first real chance of the game after breaking into some space in the box to get on the end of an Ander Herrera throughball, but was denied by a good save from Randolf.

Jesse Lingard should have had the visitors 1-0 up when he was played clean through on goal, but was also denied by Randolf who made an excellent reaction block low down with his left boot.

West Ham, as expected, looked dangerous from set pieces and Manchester United put themselves under some unnecessary pressure in the first half giving away soft fouls close to their box, but Dimitri Payet was unable to capitalise as the sides went into half time deadlocked at 0-0.

Lingard went close five minutes after the break with a long-range effort that whistled inches wide of the post. Minutes later, Martial played Rashford and the youngster executed a deft step over to beat his man before smashing the ball into the top corner to give his side the lead.

From the restart, the Hammers faithful were incredulous their side wasn't awarded a penalty when Daley Blind appeared to block Payet's progress in the box, but the referee was having none of it.

Fellaini, who impressed all night, won a header at the back post in the 66th minute, knocking the ball down for Lingard who whipped the ball into the box for Martial. The French youngster hit a stinging shot goalward that deflected of Fellaini's thigh and into the goal to give the Red Devils a 2-0 lead.

Just when it seemed like the visitors were cruising into the next round, Tomkins threw a spanner in the works when he beat Fellaini to an Andy Carroll knock down to fire past David de Gea in the 78th minute to give the home side a lifeline.

Carroll sent a header inches over the crossbar in the 88th minute before David de Gea pulled off a double save to deny first Kouyate and then Carroll moments later. However, the danger was not over as the rebound fell back to Kouyate, who beat the Spanish keeper this time around, but the goal was chalked off for offside as the Red Devils survived a breathtaking finale to advance to the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

We're going to Wembley! ?⚪️⚫️

A photo posted by Manchester United (@manchesterunited) on