Rampant Saints sink Swans

Southampton moved into the top half of the table on Saturday afternoon following a comfortable 3-1 victory over Swansea at St Mary's Stadium.

  • Southampton 3 Swansea 1
  • Van Dijk heads Saints in front
  • Tadic and Mané extend advantage
  • Sigurdsson nets late consolation

Match summary:

The Saints claimed the lead after just 11 minutes through Virgil van Dijk's headed effort before Dusan Tadic's deflected goal doubled their lead in the 54th minute.

The result was all but confirmed on the hour when Sadio Mané added his name to the scoresheet with an effort from the centre of the box.

And with time running out, Swansea netted a consolation goal from the penalty spot, Gylfi Sigurdsson slotting a powerful effort past goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg and into the back of the net.

Full report:

The Premier League encounter started at a high tempo as both sides looked to forge an early breakthrough.

Southampton duo Graziano Pellè and Sadio Mané squandered early chances from close range, while at the opposite end of the pitch, Jonjo Shelvey saw his goal-bound effort kept out by Stekelenburg before Ki Sung-yueng fired over on the follow-up.

The Saints should have been ahead after nine minutes, but Mané screwed his shot wide from just six yards out after pouncing on a botched clearance.

However, that miss was soon forgotten as summer signing Virgil van Dijk headed home at the near post two minutes later to give the hosts an early lead.

Swansea eventually managed a response in the 24th minute, but Ki saw his low shot kept out by Stekelenburg.

Another Swans chance arrived two minutes later as Gylfi Sigurdsson lined up to take a free-kick. However, his effort on goal was deflected behind for a corner which came to nothing.

The first half petered out as goal-scoring chances dried up, with Mané's tame shot on 36 minutes the only effort of note.

The second half saw Southampton crank up the pressure and they were two goals to the good on 54 minutes as Dusan Tadic's shot from a tight angle deflected in off Ki's outstretched leg.

Swansea were still reeling when the Saints struck again seven minutes later, Mané placing his shot in the bottom-right corner from the centre of the penalty area.

Credit to Garry Monk's men, though, because they didn't give up the fight and were eventually rewarded in the 83rd minute when Jose Fonte brought down Neil Taylor in the area. Sigurdsson stepped up to take it and made no mistake, firing straight down the middle of goal and into the roof of the net.

André Ayew saw his close-range header saved on 88 minutes, while Pellè fired over in injury time as the scoreline remained unchanged in the remaining minutes of the clash.