Foxes march on with narrow win

Leicester City increased their lead at the top of the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Southampton at the King Power Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

  • Leicester City 1 Southampton 0
  • Morgan scores only goal
  • Fourth consecutive 1-0 win
  • Simpson should have made it two

Match Summary

An expectedly tight affair at the King Power Stadium finished 1-0 in favour of Leicester City courtesy of Wes Morgan's first goal of the season in the 38th minute.

The result moves the Foxes seven points clear of second place Tottenham Hotspur and firmly into the driver's seat to win a surprise league title.

Full Report

Leicester began the game the stronger of the two sides with Riyaad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy once again combining well and causing problems for the Saints defence.

Shinji Okazaki spurned a glorious chance in the 12th minute as he timed his run to perfection to pick up a defence-splitting throughball from Danny Drinkwater, but his eventual attempt was blocked by a perfectly-timed sliding tackle from Jose Fonte.

Southampton slowly began to find their feet and take a more prominent role in the match and they even began to take hold of the ascendancy around the half hour mark, with Graziano Pelle sending a header wide before Sadio Mane had a shot blocked on the edge of the area two minutes later.

Moments later, Kasper Schmeichel produced a fine reflex save to deny Fonte, whose shot looked destined for the top corner.

However, as with so many other occasions this season, Leicester found a way and, against the run of play, they broke down the left wing and through Christian Fuchs, who whipped in a fantastic ball for Morgan who got the better of his marker to head his side into the lead.

In the second half, Southampton had their goalkeeper to thank for keeping them in the game.

Fonte nearly turned the ball into his own net in the 61st minute as he tried to intercept a Drinkwater throughball, but sent it looping over Fraser Forster. Thankfully the tall goalkeeper was able to backpedal and tip it over the bar.

Forster was his side's saviour once again 10 minutes later when Danny Simpson found himself unmark at the back post with an open goal in front of him, but the Saints stopper somehow managed to recover and get across to block his shot, which would have made sure of the points for the hosts.

With five minutes to go Jamie Vardy broke free to get one-on-one with Forster, who came off his line brilliantly to save the striker's stinging low effort.

As the time ticked away the home side retreated and began time-wasting tactics to run the clock down and ensure their fourth consecutive 1-0 win in the Premier League and extend their lead at the top of the table over Spurs to seven points.