Atletico close gap on Barcelona

Atletico Madrid thrashed Betis 5-1 at Estadio Vicente Calderon in La Liga on Saturday to move to six points behind Barcelona at the top of the table.

Fernando Torres gave the hosts the lead with a cheeky chip in the 37th minute before Antoine Griezmann doubled their lead with a fine finish three minutes before half time.

Atletico dominated the match from start to finish and Juanfran made it 3-0 in the 65th minute after getting on the end of a terrific cross from Angel Correa.

Ruben Castro gave Betis a lifeline in the 79th minute when he pounced on a rebound in the hosts box to fire the ball into the back of the net, but it proved to be nothing more than a consolation goal as Griezmann scored his second of the game two minutes later to restore the three goal advantage.

Partey hammered the final nail in the visitors’ coffin in the first minute of stoppage time with a neat finish from close range to settle the match at 5-1.

Elsewhere in La Liga, Las Palmas recovered from going behind early on to beat Valencia 2-1 at Estadio de Gran Canaria.

Rodrigo gave the visitors the lead in just the third minute after pouncing on an embarrassing mistake by the hosts defence to roll the ball into an empty net.

However, Jonathan Viera would bring Las Palmas level in the 50th minute from the penalty spot after Javi Fuego was blown up for holding an attacking player back in the box.

Shkodran Mustafi suffered the indignity of scoring the winning goal for the opposing team after the ball deflected in off him in the 63rd minute to give Las Palmas the victory and compound Valencia’s problems.

In the late game, Celta Vigo were unable to make the most of playing with a one-man advantage for more than 20 minutes as the drew 1-1 with Deportivo La Coruna at Estadio de Balaidos.

The visitors open the scoring through Celso Borges in the 29th minute, but Celta Vigo hit back nine minutes later through Duran Nolito.

Alejandro Arribas put his side at a huge disadvantage after picking up two yellow cards in seven minutes, both for tripping, to get sent off in the 68th minute, but the hosts failed to press their numerical superiority and the sides shared the spoils.