Citizens breeze past Cherries

Manchester City got their Champions League challenge back on track as they cruised to a 4-0 victory over Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday.

  • Bournemouth 0 Manchester City 4
  • Fernando gives City early lead
  • De Bruyne extends advantage
  • Aguero adds third soon after
  • Kolarov seals win late on

Match Summary

The game was effectively over midway through the first half as City scored three times inside the opening 20 minutes to take a firm grip on proceedings.

Fernando opened the scoring after just seven minutes and Kevin De Bruyne doubled their lead five minutes later before Sergio Aguero added a third goal on 19 minutes.

Aleksandar Kolarov also managed to get his name on the scoresheet at the death as Manuel Pellegrini’s side opened up a three-point gap to fifth-placed West Ham, while the Cherries are down in 13th position after suffering back-to-back defeats in the Premier League.

Full Report

The hosts made a bright start, with Joshua King getting an early sight at goal, but his shot from eight yards out on the right missed the target.

However, it was City that drew first blood on seven minutes when Fernando beat Artur Boruc from just inside the area after Eddie Howe’s troops failed to clear their lines from a corner.

Things got worse for the south-coast club five minutes later as City doubled their advantage through De Bruyne, who capped off a neat move involving Aguero and David Silva with a volley from a similar position to Fernando’s opener.

There would be no way back for the home team as they conceded a third goal on 19 minutes, Aguero this time beating Boruc with a looping header from five yards out after Jesus Navas picked him out at the far post with a cross.

Fernandinho was unfortunate not to add a fourth six minutes later with a strike from 20 yards out that crashed against the crossbar, before visiting keeper Willy Caballero was finally tested on the half-hour mark by Steve Cook’s glancing header from Matt Ritchie’s cross.

There were chances for both teams to add to the scoreline in the closing stages of the first half, but Silva, Aguero, Navas and Lewis Grabban were all guilty of failing to hit the target.

The Citizens eased off considerably in the second half, giving Bournemouth the opportunity to get back into the contest, but Caballero was rarely called into action.

Ritchie did force a save out of the Citizens keeper in stoppage time with a shot from 22 yards out on the right, before Kolarov struck for City moments later with a bullet shot that flew into the far top corner of the net.