Palace hold the Hammers

Crystal Palace and West Ham had to settle for a point each after playing out a fascinating 2-2 draw at Upton Park on Saturday.

  • West Ham 2 Crystal Palace 2
  • Delaney opens the scoring
  • Lanzini equalises soon afterwards
  • Payet curls in a free kick
  • Kouyate sent off
  • Gayle rescues a point for Palace

Match Summary

Damien Delaney headed Crystal Palace into the lead early on, but the Hammers struck back just three minutes later when Manuel Lanzini found the net, and they were leading at halftime thanks to another gorgeous free kick from Dimitri Payet.

Things then went sour for West Ham in the final 20 minutes, with Cheikhou Kouyate seeing red for a studs-up challenge before Dwight Gayle equalised for the Eagles.

Full Report

Crystal Palace took the lead in the 14th minute through Damien Delaney. A deep free kick from Wilfried Zaha was drifted into the box, where it bounced just before the goalkeeper and looked to be sneaking in at the far post, forcing Adrian into a save. But instead of turning it wide the Spaniard just punched it back into play for Delaney to head in from a tight angle.

The Hammers were level just three minutes later through Lanzini after Michail Antonio did well on the right flank to work a deep cross in towards the far post, where Diafra Sakho’s header back across goal was half-cleared towards the Argentine, who tucked it away from the edge of the box.

West Ham then took the lead in the 40th minute thanks to yet another fantastic free kick from Dimitri Payet. The Frenchman had it ideally placed just outside the box, and curled it perfectly into the top right corner to give his side the lead at halftime.

Palace had a scare in the 72nd minute when Cheikhou Kouyate played a loose back pass to Adrian that Joe Ledley got to first. With Adrian off his line the Welshman laid it off to Bakary Sakho to strike, but Aaron Cresswell was on the line to clear.

West Ham were then reduced to 10 men when Kouyate saw a straight red card for a lunging tackle on Dwight Gayle.

The Eagles were back level in the 75th minute when a cross from left-back Pape Souare caused confusion amongst the Hammers centre-backs, with Angelo Ogbonna hitting it straight into Winston Reid, and Dwight Gayle pouncing on the loose ball.