Swans steal late draw

Swansea fought back from two goals down to earn a hard-fought 2-2 draw against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium in the Premier League on Saturday.

  • Stoke City 2 Swansea 2
  • Afellay opens scoring
  • Bojan adds second
  • Sigurdsson pulls one back
  • Paloschi levels for the visitors

Match Summary

Stoke City dominated the first half and took a deserved 1-0 lead into half time courtesy of Ibrahim Afellay’s 13th minute strike.

The Potters continued to look good after the break and doubled their lead through Bojan in the 53rd minute, but then suffered an impressive fight back from the visitors.

Gylfi Sigurdsson pulled one back for Swansea in the 68th minute before Alberto Paloschi’s 79th minute header earned them an unlikely, but well-deserved, 2-2 draw.

Full Report

Stoke City took a firm grip on proceedings early on and Marko Arnautovic nearly gave them the lead as early as the 10th minute when he cut in off the left wing before unleashing a fierce strike that was blocked by Federico Fernandez’s.

Less three minutes later, Arnautovic got the better of both Fernandez and Angel Rangel before curling in a cross for Afellay on the back post, who nodded the ball home to celebrate his 30th birthday with a goal.

Glenn Whelan lofted in a tantalising cross from a free kick in the 27th minute, which was met by the head of Joselu, but the attempt was well saved by Lukasz Fabianski.

The Potters kept up the pressure and Bojan went on a fantastic run in the 33rd minute that saw him skip past both Fernandez and Leon Britton before laying the ball off for Afellay, who tried to hit the top corner and sent his shot over the bar.

The home side continued to dominate proceedings after the half time interval and finally found a second goal in the 53rd minute. Bojan was allowed far to much space in the middle of the pitch and he took full advantage, taking the ball past Fernandez and into the box before sliding the ball past Fabianski.

However, Stoke took their foot off the gas after they went two up and allowed Swansea back into the game, which opened up significantly after the Swans started to see more of the ball.

Wayne Routledge broke down the right wing before squaring the ball for Sigurdsson in the 68th minute and the Iceland international turned well to created space in the box before finishing past Jakob Haugaard to bring the score back to 2-1.

Swansea continued to see a lot of the ball as they looked for a way back into the game, but chances were few and far between.

That all changed in the 79th minute when Ashley Williams played a strong pass to Paloschi, who picked the ball up with his back to goal, turned excellently and smashed the ball into the bottom right-hand corner to complete the visitors fight back and earn them a valuable Premier League point.