FC Bayern München winger Franck Ribery says his body has fully recovered and is ready to compete for a place in the starting line-up against the younger squad players.
The 33-year-old has been plagued by injuries in recent times, forcing him to miss the first half of the Bundesliga season and making only seven appearances in all competitions for the Bavarians so far.
Kingsley Coman, who moved to the Allianz Arena on loan from Serie A champions Juventus at the start of the campaign, has enjoyed regular game time in Ribery’s absence, prompting doubters to question whether the Frenchman would still have a place in the team when he returns.
Franck Ribéry says he is hopeful Kingsley Coman can follow in his footsteps at Bayern pic.twitter.com/tlQT9c9dq1
— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) March 30, 2016
However, the former France international insists he is not scared to compete and having other players raising their hands will give the coach selection options.
“I’m never scared. I’ve done it every time,” Ribery told Omnisport. “I know me and I’ve played every time after an injury break. But I can’t play 45 games a year. I’m not a machine, I’m human.
“I want to play football. Even if I am not that young anymore and I’ve won a lot of titles, I want to continue playing football. My body says yes and I want to continue playing for some years if it stays like this. I am hungry all the time.
“At the moment it’s good. My body is back at a 100 per cent level. Against Juventus, I felt great. Now I hope for the best and that I can play without injuries and at a high level. We need every player now, because it isn’t easy to play every three days.”