Mainz 05 claim victory at Darmstadt

Mainz 05 moved up to fifth in the Bundesliga standings after they recorded a 3-2 victory over Darmstadt at the Merck-Stadion am Bollenfalltor on Friday night.

Darmstadt 2 Mainz 3
Bell and Malli put visitors two-up
Heller halves deficit for hosts
Sailer levels the scores
De Blasis secures win for Mainz

Match Summary

The visitors took an early lead through Stefan Bell and Yunus Malli doubled their advantage midway through the first half. But the Lilies responded soon afterwards as Marcel Heller halved the deficit.

Marco Sailer then restored parity for the hosts just before the hour mark, although they fell behind again seven minutes later when Pablo De Blasis struck what turned out to be the winners for the O-Fives.

Darmstadt squandered a late chance to draw level from the penalty spot as Sandro Wagner blasted over from 12 yards out to silence the home crowd at the full-time whistle.

Full Report

Martin Schmidt's side signalled their intent early on when Danny Latza let fly from outside the area on three minutes, but his shot failed to beat Christian Mathenia in the home goal.

Mainz would break the deadlock with their next attack of note as Bell got on the end of Latza's free-kick to send his header beyond Mathenia on 15 minutes.

Their lead was doubled on 24 minutes when Malli latched onto a ball from Yoshinori Muto following a corner and guided his effort into the bottom left corner of the goal.

But Dirk Schuster's men found an immediate response, with Gondorf guiding his header into the path of Heller to pull one back for the Hesse outfit.

Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius then pulled off a sharp save to deny Wagner the equaliser on 33 minutes after he got on the end of Konstantin Rausch's delivery to head the ball on target.

That save ensured the O-Fives went into the break with a one-goal lead, but 12 minutes into the second half Darmstadt were back in the contest when Sailer slotted home from close range, with Rausch providing the assist for the equaliser.

Mathenia was called into action twice in quick succession on 64 minutes to keep out Muto, who saw his two strikes turned away by the keeper, who was then beaten moments later as De Blasis fired home from inside the area to put Mainz back in front.

Muto forced a save out of Mathenia on 66 minutes while at the other end Wagner saw his header stopped by Karius as the second half entered its final quarter.

There was late drama when the Lilies were awarded a penalty deep into stoppage time after Luca Caldirola had been brought down by Gonzalo Jara. But Wagner failed to hold his nerve as he skied his spot-kick over the crossbar to leave the home supporters stunned when the final whistle sounded moments later.