Gomes secures Watford a point

The Hornets had Brazilian goalkeeper Gomes to thank for their 1-1 draw against Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium in the Premier League on Saturday afternoon.

  • Bournemouth 1 Watford 1
  • Few chances created early on
  • Murray scores in first start
  • Boruc shocker gifts equaliser
  • Murray misses penalty late on

Match Summary

After a scrappy start to the fixture, the game between Bournemouth and Watford settled into a comfortable pattern, with Bournemouth holding possession and Watford looking to hit them on the counter-attack.

Glenn Murray, making his first start for Bournemouth in place of the injured Callum Wilson, gave the home side the lead in the 28th minute with an accurate header after good link-up play between Simon Francis and Matt Ritchie.

However, they surrendered their advantage on the stroke of half-time after a howler from Artur Boruc, with the keeper passing the ball straight to Odion Ighalo and the Nigerian striker easily rounded him and put Watford level.

Bournemouth had two great chances to secure the points late on, but Gomes was on hand to deny them. First he tipped wide an audacious bicycle kick from Steve Cook, before saving a tame Murray penalty to earn his side a point.

Full Report

Despite an opportunity early on for Murray, the opening 25 minutes were notably devoid of chances.

That all changed 28 minutes in after Francis and Ritchie combined down the right-hand side to deliver an accurate cross onto the head of Murray, who made no mistake and gave Bournemouth a deserved lead.

That lead was wasted on the verge of half time as Boruc dallied too long on the ball and Ighalo was right on top of the keeper as he tried to play it past the striker. Ighalo easily intercepted the pass and rounded Boruc to put Watford back on level terms.

Ben Watson nearly gave the Hornets the lead six minutes after half time, but his stunning half volley from 12 yards out rattled the crossbar.

Boruc then went some way to making amends for his first-half howler with a smart save to deny Ikechi Anya from close range.

The game sparked into life eight minutes from the final whistle as Steve Cook's outrageous bicycle kick from 20 yards out was only just tipped wide by Gomes.

A minute later, the hosts had a penalty after Adam Smith was taken out by Etienne Capoue, but Murray's tame effort was kept out by a diving Gomes.