FC Koln cruise to victory

1. FC Köln returned to winning ways in the Bundesliga after they comfortably beat  Schalke 04 3-0 at the Veltins-Arena on Sunday afternoon.

  • Schalke 0 Cologne 3
  • Modeste opens the scoring
  • Gerhardt doubles visitors' lead
  • Zolle adds a third soon after
  • Hosts' winning streak halted

Match Summary

Anthony Modeste gave the visitors the lead on the stroke of half-time, before two goals in the space of five second-half minutes from Yannick Gerhardt and Simon Zolle wrapped up the three points for Peter Stoger's side.

The Royal Blues saw their six-match winning streak halted in the process as the Billy Goats moved up to fifth in the league standings on 14 points, two behind Andre Breitenreiter's men who remain in third place.

Full Report

Cologne made a bright start and put the hosts under pressure early on, although Pawel Olkowski, Modeste and Gerhardt all failed to trouble the goalkeeper with their respective efforts in the opening stages.

Schalke finally got a sniff on goal after 18 minutes Leroy Sane tested Timo Horn with a shot from outside the area that was comfortably saved, before Franco Di Santo attempted to beat the keeper from the right two minutes later but was denied as well.

Modeste came close to breaking the deadlock on 26 minutes when he was released through on goal by Jonas Hector, but Ralf Fahrmann stood firm and kept his shot out.

Sane was presented with another chance to open the scoring for the home team on 40 minutes when he latched onto Di Santo's cross, but Horn was on hand to deny him and the keeper was called into action again moments later to keep out a strike from Johannes Geis and Max Meyer's header.

Horn's heroics would pay off almost instantly as the Billy Goats took the lead on 45 minutes from a swift counter-attack, with Modeste slotting home under the keeper after being played in by Bittencourt.

The second half, by contrast, wasn't nearly as action-packed, despite it delivering two goals, with both teams more cautious after the break.

Geis would test Horn with a long-range shot on 73 minutes that the keeper had to save, before Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting got on the end of Di Santo's cross but his shot from an acute angle was also saved.

But once again they conceded after a spell of pressure as Gerhardt found space inside the area to bury his shot past Fahrmann to double Cologne's lead and five minutes later they sealed the victory when Zoller capped off another counter-attacking move as he converted Kevin Vogt's pass.