Saints complete remarkable comeback

Southampton rallied from two goals down and a missed penalty to beat Liverpool 3-2 at St Mary’s Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

  • Southampton 3 Liverpool 2
  • Coutinho and Sturridge give Reds the lead
  • Mignolet denies Mane from penalty spot
  • Mane and Pelle bring Saints level
  • Senegalese striker adds winning goal

Match Summary

Liverpool weathered an early storm from the home side before taking the lead through a piece of individual brilliance from Coutinho in the 17th minute. Daniel Sturridge continued his encouraging recovery from injury by adding Liverpool’s second five minutes later.

Southampton wasted a golden opportunity to get a goal back when Simon Mignolet pulled off a terrific save to deny Saido Mane from the penalty spot.

However, it didn’t have an effect on the end result as Mane did eventually get a goal in the 64th minute, followed by Graziano Pelle drawing them level with just seven minutes left on the clock.

And there was even time for a winner, as Mane completed his brace and a remarkable turnaround for the Saints in the 86th minute to give them a 3-2 win.

What a comeback! ? #SaintsFC come from two goals down to beat #LFC 3-2 at St Mary’s. A photo posted by Southampton FC (@southamptonfc) on

Full Report

Southampton started their match against Liverpool well and Virgil van Dijk headed wide in the sixth minute before Shane Long was denied what appeared to be a clear penalty moments later after he was pushed in the back by Dejan Lovren.

Pelle had another chance in the 12th minute after some neat one-touch passing set him up with a volley in the box, but he hit it well wide.

After dealing with the initial onslaught, the Reds began to assert themselves onto proceedings and were vastly more successful than their hosts.

Coutinho showed his class in the 17th minute, cutting in from the left wing before unleashing a powerful drive from long range to beat Fraser Forster and give Liverpool the lead.

Just five minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead through Sturridge who, after receiving the ball from Divock Origi, sold his marker with a cute dummy before slotting the ball home.

Liverpool thought they were three up in the 34th minute when Charlie Allen had the ball in the back of the net, but it was chalked off for offside because of Sakho’s positioning in front of the goalkeeper when the shot was hit.

Five minutes after half-time, Southampton wasted their best opportunity to get back into the game after Martin Skrtel wrestled Pelle to the ground in the Liverpool box.

Mane stepped up after the referee pointed to the spot, but Mignolet superbly saved the penalty.

The chance seemed to give the home side some belief again, however, and they began to push further up the field in search of a way back into the match. They found it in the 64th minute when Liverpool gave the ball away cheaply in their own half, which allowed Mane to turn Mamadou Sakho on the edge of the area before finishing well past Mignolet.

  A glimmer of hope – #SaintsFC’s @sadio.mane pulls a goal back against #LFC.   A photo posted by Southampton FC (@southamptonfc) on

Southampton continued to come forward, and they managed to level the scores in the 83rd minute as Pelle unleashed an unstoppable drive from just outside the box to make it 2-2.

Just three minutes later, the Saints completed the incredible comeback, as Liverpool made a complete mess of trying to clear the ball, allowing the home side to recover possession in a dangerous area and feed the ball to Mane, who finished brilliantly to score the winning goal.


Mitrovic rescues a point for Newcastle