Atletico edge PSV in penalty shootout

Atletico Madrid marched into the quarter-finals of the Champions League following an 8-7 penalty shootout win over PSV Eindhoven at the Estadio Vincente Calderon on Tuesday night.

  • Second leg ends goalless after 90 mins
  • Scores 0-0 after two legs
  • Penalty shootout goes to sudden death
  • Narsingh misses penalty for PSV
  • Juanfran scores the winning penalty for Atleti

Match Summary

Juanfran scored the winning penalty that sealed a last-eight place for Atletico after PSV substitute Luciano Narsingh missed a crucial spot-kick during the sudden-death phase of the shootout.

Over 200 minutes of football failed to produce a goal and only the lottery of penalties could separate the two teams.
Both teams had their chances to take the drivers' seat but the final touch from Luciano Narsingh was amiss on the night, with Juanfran subsequently slotting home to hand the hosts a narrow victory.

Full Report

Atletico in the early stages put the visitors under pressure with a barrage of attacks, which started with Antoine Greizmann combining with Yannick Carrasco for the first attempt.

In the seventh minute, Greizmann delivered a cross into the box which evaded everyone and wobbled away from danger.

Greizmann then had the first clear cut opportunity of the night when his shot forced a spectacular save from PSV goalkeeper Jeroen Zoet in the 19th minute.

The visitors applied some pressure in the middle of the first half and Marco van Ginkel made a run into the defence that proved a real threat. Van Ginkel took a shot that Atletico goalkeeper Jab Oblak parried away but nearly fell kindly for Luuk de Jong.

Carrasco then saw his powerful shot comfortably handled by Zoer as the match when into half-time still without a goal.

PSV nearly broke the deadlock in the 60th minute when Jurgen Locadia hit the post after goalkeeper Jan Oblak got his fingertips to his long-range effort. The ball rebounded back into the field of play, but De Jong was unable to control the ball and redirect it into the net.

Substitute Fernando Torres looked to add some impetus to the attack and in the 78th minute his chip tested goalkeeper Zoet.

However, that was the last chance of note as the match went into extra-time after 180 minutes of football over two legs without a goal. Neither team wanted to make a costly error that would all but certainly cost a place in the next round of the competition.

In the first half of extra-time, Atletico looked to go for the kill while PSV slowed down the pace of the game with penalties not far off.

PSV continued to frustrate the home side with Gabriel Fernandez coming close to the opener but his lack of precision let him down.

The ensuing penalty shootout was extremely tense, as expected, as both teams went on to convert their opening five attempts.

However, the visitors handed Atleti a lifeline when substitute Narsingh struck the post with his side's eighth spot-kick, paving the way for Juanfran to fire the Spaniards to victory.