Palace through to FA Cup semi-final

Crystal Palace stormed into the semi-final of the FA Cup after late goals from Yohan Cabaye and Frazier Campbell secured a 2-0 win over Reading at the Madejski Stadium on Friday night.

  • Palace march into cup semi-final
  • Palace grab two goals in the last seven minutes
  • Cooper concedes penalty
  • Cabaye converts penalty
  • Campbell scores after coming off the bench

Match Summary

After a quiet first-half, the cup tie came to life late in the second as Palace were awarded a penalty in the 86th minute which was converted by Cabaye.

With Palace holding on to a slim 1-0 lead, they doubled their lead and put the game out of reach when Campbell scored in injury time.

As a result of the 2-0 win, Palace became the first team to book their place in the last four of the cup competition.

Full Report

After the opening exchanges, it was clear that goals would prove hard to come by in the first-half at least if not in the entire match. However, just as the match seemed to be headed for a stalemate, all that changed right at the death.

Poor passing, slow ball movement and lack of penetration was to blame for a disappointing first-half.

Palace midfielder Wilfried Zaha was set to become the first player to test the opposition goalkeeper, but his attempt was blocked by defender Jake Cooper in the 26th minute.

Moments before the end of the half, the deadlock was nearly broken when Yannick Bolasie blasted the ball over the post from close range.

The second half got off a lively start with both sides coming out of the dressing room with more vigour and intent.

Palace midfielder Cabaye combined with teammate Joe Ledley to take a shot that forced goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi into action in the 56th minute.

In the 67th minute, Mile Jedinak had his volley bounce off an opponent and cleared out of danger in the Reading penalty box.

Reading attacker Ola John dribbled past the opposition defenders and made space for a shot that curled wide of the target.

In the late flurry, Cooper conceded a penalty in the 85th minute following a foul on Bolasie and was subsequently given his marching orders by referee Mike Dean for a second bookable offence.

Cabaye made no mistake from the penalty spot before substitute Campbell ensured the win with an injury time goal.