Hammers stun Everton with incredible comeback

Late goals from Michail Antonio, Diafra Sakho and Dmitri Payet saw West Ham earn an unlikely 3-2 comeback victory over 10-man Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday.

  • Everton 2 West Ham 3
  • Lukaku puts Everton ahead
  • Mirallas sent off
  • Lennon makes it 2-0
  • Lukaku misses penalty
  • West Ham score three late goals

Match Summary

Romelu Lukaku gave the hosts the early lead after some neat work to beat the defender, although Everton were dealt a blow later in the first half when Kevin Mirallas was shown a red card for a second bookable offence.

Despite playing with 10 men, it was the home side who doubled their advantage in the second half when Aaron Lennon and Lukaku combined for the former to score.

Everton could have gone 3-0 up after Alex Song conceded a penalty, but Lukaku missed from the spot, and Antonio, Sakho and Payet made the Toffees pay dearly for that miss, all scoring within a 12-minute period late in the game as West Ham completed a memorable comeback win.

Full Report

Everton seemed to enjoy the lion’s share of possession early on, but the first solid chance of the match arrived in the 11th minute for West Ham’s Dimitri Payet, who surged up from midfield and fired a low shot just wide of the bottom left corner.

Within minutes, the home side had scored at the other end, Lukaku getting on the end of a Bryan Oviedo pass before spinning away from a defender and sending a left-footed strike in off the far post.

Two minutes later, Everton winger Mirallas received his first caution for diving, although replays suggested he might actually have been clipped by Cheikhou Kouyate.

Aaron Cresswell sent in a great cross across the face of the goal for Emmanuel Emenike as West Ham looked to hit back, but the Nigerian striker failed to reach what would have been a routine tap-in.

A big moment arrived in the 34th minute when Mirallas received his marching orders for a second bookable offence, a late challenge on Cresswell.

Unsurprisingly, West Ham had the better of the closing stages of the first half, but couldn’t make it count. Cresswell whipped in another ball for Ememike, who found the target this time, but Joel Robles was there to save on the line.

After the break, West Ham threatened as Antonio just missed the target with a header from a Payet free kick, but 10-man Everton were not being outplayed.

Against the odds, the home side managed to double their lead shortly before the hour mark, Lennon linking up with Lukaku before latching on to the return pass and scoring past Adrian.

Everton were then gifted an opportunity to go 3-0 up when Song committed a foul inside his own area, but Adrian guessed the right way and denied Lukaku from the spot – a miss that would prove very costly for the hosts.

Antonio managed to pull one back for the visitors in the 78th minute, heading home after latching onto a ball from Mark Noble, and within minutes the Hammers were level as Sakho headed another one into the back of the net after rising to meet a cross from Payet.

There was even more drama to come moments before the final whistle, as Payet got on the end of a knock-down to fire the ball past Robles and stun the Everton crowd into silence.