Tottenham held by 10-man Arsenal

Tottenham missed another opportunity to go top of the Premier League after being held to a 2-2 draw by 10-man Arsenal in their north London derby clash at White Hart Lane on Saturday.

  • Tottenham 2 Arsenal 2
  • Ramsey flicks Gunners ahead
  • Coquelin sees red for Arsenal
  • Alderweireld and Kane put Spurs in front
  • Sanchez draws Gunners level

Match Summary

Aaron Ramsey put the Gunners ahead in a pulsating game before Spurs took advantage of Francis Coquelin’s red card to go ahead through Toby Alderweireld and Harry Kane, only for Alexis Sanchez to pop up and net an unexpected equaliser for the visitors.

Full Report

The game started at breakneck pace and it was Spurs carrying the threat as Kane had two early strikes on goal but David Ospina, who was playing in place of the injured Petr Cech, was equal to both.

The home side were all over their bitter rivals but wasted numerous free-kicks in and around the Arsenal area, while Arsene Wenger’s men were looking to play solely on the break with Danny Welbeck a threat with his pace through the middle.

Spurs came close to breaking the deadlock in the 26th minute when a fizzing cross from Kyle Walker on the right found Erik Lamela 10 yards out but the Argentine’s shinned effort was brilliantly kept out by Ospina.

Despite being on the back foot it was the Gunners who took the lead when Welbeck picked out the advancing Hector Bellerin on the edge of the Spurs box and the full-back’s pass into Ramsey was flicked home by the Wales midfielder eight yards out.

It could have been two for the visitors when Sanchez floated in a cross from the left but Welbeck’s weak header was comfortably held by Lloris.

Spurs started brightly again at the start of the second period, with space opening up for Walker 20 yards out but the full-back’s strike was pushed out by Ospina.

The visitors found themselves down to 10 men, however, with 35 minutes to go when Coquelin picked up his second yellow card of the game after needlessly bringing down Kane on the left sideline.

And Spurs were so close to drawing level two minutes later when Alderweireld flicked on a corner and Kane’s strike was just kept out by Ospina, with the ball an inch from going over the line.

However, the home side then scored twice in the space of two minutes to astonishingly take the lead.

Firstly a corner from Eriksen eventually found its way to Alderweireld at the back post and the Belgian defender swept home from close range, before Kane produced a magnificent finish from the right edge of the area after Per Mertesacker failed to clear and Dele Alli’s back heel found the England striker.

Kane then pulled another effort wide of goal as Spurs threatened to run away with the game before Arsenal surprisingly drew level when Sanchez fired an effort across Lloris after being picked out by Bellerin.

Eric Dier was lucky not to join Coquelin in having an early bath when he held back substitute Olivier Giroud but referee Michael Oliver was unmoved despite protests from the Arsenal players.

Ospina had to be alert again to keep out Eriksen’s curling effort before Sanchez saw a 25-yard free-kick pushed out by Lloris at the other end as both side’s looked for a late winner which never came.