City seize the initiative

Manchester City took a big step towards the next round of the Champions League with a 3-1 win over Dynamo Kiev in the first leg of their last-16 tie.

  • Dynamo Kiev 1 Manchester City 3
  • Aguero opens scoring
  • Silva adds second
  • Buyalskyy pulls one back
  • Toure secures the win

Match Summary

Manchester City started the match strongly and took the lead through a powerful Sergio Aguero strike 15 minutes in.

The visitors grabbed another away goal and a 2-0 lead five minutes before half time when David Silva steered a simple finish home from close range.

Dynamo Kiev burst out of the blocks after half time and got their just reward on 59 minutes when Vitaliy Buyalskyy’s speculative long-range effort was deflected past Joe Hart.

However, City would have the final say in the 90th minute when Yaya Toure made it 3-1 from the edge of the area to give them a huge advantage going into the second leg next month.

Full Report

It was clear from the opening whistle that the Citizens were after away goals to help their progress into the next round of the competition and Oleksandr Shovkovsky did well in the Kiev goal to keep his side level during the initial onslaught.

However, it proved to be one chance too many 15 minutes in as Silva whipped in a corner and Toure knocked it down for Aguero, who blasted the ball home to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

It could have been two seven minutes later when Silva played Aguero in with a beautiful pass, but the Argentine striker fired his shot disappointingly wide.

The Citizens found their second goal in the 40th minute as Raheem Sterling produced a bit of magic to play Silva in, who made no mistake with a simple tap-in from close range.

Aguero should have secure the win two minutes later after being played in by Fernandinho, but his shot slid inches wide of the right-hand upright.

Kiev responded well after the break and Andriy Yarmolenko went close in the 53rd minute, before they managed to pull one back six minutes later after Buyalskyy’s deflected shot left Hart stranded in the City goal.

There was a flurry of action with 12 minutes to go as Silva and Fernandinho were denied Shovkovsky before Hart acrobatically saved another Buyalskyy effort at the other end.

The visitors would restore their two-goal lead in the 90th minute when Toure found a bit of space on the edge of the area and hit an accurate effort that slid just inside the post to give the Premier League side a commanding 3-1 lead going into the deciding tie in Manchester next month.