AFC Cup East Zone Wrap

Lao Toyota beat JSW Bengaluru 2-1 in Group H for their first-ever AFC Cup win, as the competition got under way on Wednesday.

In the second minute of the contest, Japanese striker Kazuo Homma opened the scoring for Lao, with a second goal arriving in the 35th minute through Phatthana Syvilay.

The visitors pulled a goal back in the 90th minute though Chekiyot Kizhakkeveettil Vineeth.

Lao were down to 10-men in the 60th minute when they had Moukda Souksavath sent off for two yellow cards.

In second half stoppage time, Bengaluru came very close to scoring when a free kick hit the post.

Group H: Johor Darul Ta’zim (Malaysia) 8-1 Ayeyawady United (Burma)

Johor hammered Ayeyawady by scoring five second half unanswered goals in Johor Bahru.

The home side scored three goals in the first half thanks to Mohd Safiq, Kunanlan and Marcos António in the sixth, 14th and 31st minutes respectively. Hein Thiha Zaw did pull one back for Ayeyawady in the eighth minute.

In the second half, Safiq scored two more goals in the 50th and 63rd minutes and Juan Lucero scored twice in the 83rd and 87th minutes before Mohd Aidil Zafuan added another to make the final score 8-1.

Group G: Yangon United (Burma) 2-1 South China (Hong Kong)

The home side Yangon United came from a goal down to get past South China at Myanmar’s Youth Training Centre Stadium.

South China took the lead in the 15th minute when Ryan Griffiths scored after his penalty was initially saved by the keeper.

Yangon got the equaliser via Kyaw Ko Ko’s hard shot four minutes later which left goalkeeper Leung Hing Kit with no chance.

The winner came in the 50th minute when Fernandes scored with a shot.

Despite Yangon being down to 10-men with 36 minutes remaining when Yan Aung Kyaw was sent off, the home side somehow held on for the win.

Group G: Mohun Bagan (Indonesia) 5-2 Maziya (Maldives)

The home side took charge of the game during the first half by scoring three unanswered goals through Sony Norde, Jeje Lalpekhlua and Cornell Glenn in the 19th, 33rd and 35th minutes respectively.

In the 61st minute, Ahmed Imaaz pulled a goal back for Maziya but eight minutes later Lalpekhlua scored his second of the match and then Glenn scored his brace in the 71st minute. Raju Gaikwad scored an own-goal to give Maziya their second of the match.