City battle back to seal final berth

Manchester City secured their place in the final of the Capital One Cup following a 3-1 win in the second-leg of their semi-final tie.

  • Manchester City 3 Everton 1
  • Barkley nets crucial away goal
  • Fernandinho restores parity on the night
  • De Bruyne fires home aggregate equaliser
  • Aguero sends Citizens to Wembley

Match Summary

Ross Barkley netted very early in the first half with a well-taken finish into the bottom corner from range to seemingly put Everton out of sight in the tie.

However, City would not lie down and overturned a 3-1 aggregate deficit thanks to goals from Fernandinho, Kevin de Bruyne and Sergio Aguero, winning the tie 4-3.

Manchester City will now face Liverpool in the final at Wembley in the last weekend of February.

Full Report

It was a quite evenly contested opening to the game and both sides had half-chances at either end.

The Toffees, though, put themselves in the driving seat in the 18th minute with a vital away goal when Barkley worked himself into space in the centre of the park and fired home into the bottom left-hand corner from outside the box.

The Citizens weren’t behind for too long, however, as Fernandinho fired home via a Leighton Baines deflection in the 24th minute after Aguero had an effort blocked.

City then came close to restoring parity on the aggregate scoreline when Aguero struck the post with a fierce effort from just outside the 18-yard area.

Gareth Barry couldn’t control the rebound and David Silva nearly poked it home, but Joel Robles made an excellent instinctive save to keep his side in the lead.

City were oh so nearly back on level terms on aggregate when Silva saw his header rattle off the post in the 54th minute. Yaya Toure couldn’t quite gather the rebound, allowing Everton to clear their lines.

There would be no denying City in the 70th minute, De Bruyne slotting in with a first-time finish from a Raheem Sterling cut-back, despite the balling appearing to roll out of play before the winger could play the ball in.

The turnaround was complete in the 76th minute, Aguero nudging a header in at the far post from a perfect De Bruyne cross after an initial corner had been cleared.

There was a late blow for City as De Bruyne was taken off on the stretcher with an apparent knee injury, though his side were able to hold on with just 10-men for six minutes of added time.