Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique said he was confident that Brazilian forward Neymar will commit to the Spanish giants beyond his current contract, which ends in 2018.
The coach spoke to the media at the team’s press conference on Tuesday, where he was asked if the Brazil captain was ready to extend his stay in Barcelona. Enrique said: “I believe so, yes.”
The 23-year-old has been reticent concerning his future plans, and after stating last month that he was in talks with the club about a new contract, the star added: “I don’t know, life is very long.”
This has raised speculation of possible transfers, including to arch rivals Real Madrid, with his release clause estimated at 190 million Euros. English giants Manchester United also allegedly tried to approach the player last year.
Neymar missed Saturday’s 2-1 league win at Malaga because of muscle pain. He is expected to make a return to the starting line-up for the Copa del Rey quarterfinal return-leg tie against Athletic Bilbao on Wednesday night.