Roofe comes down on Swansea

Swansea City were sent crashing out of the FA Cup at the third round as a Kemar Roofe brace earned Oxford United a 3-2 win at the Kassam Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

  • Oxford United 3 Swansea City 2
  • Montero backheels Swans in front
  • Sercombe penalty draws sides level
  • Roofe double stuns the visitors
  • Gomis pulls one back for visitors

Match Summary

Swansea looked to have begun the road to a routine win after Jefferson Montero produced a lovely piece of skill by backheeling the ball into the corner of the net after 23 minutes, although the U's were back on level terms just moments before half-time as Liam Sercombe rifled home from the penalty spot.

The League Two high-flyers then turned the game on its head after the restart as Kemar Roofe angled a stunning, curling strike into the corner of the net on 49 minutes, before grabbing his brace 10 minutes later by firing home from 10 yards following a swift counter attack.

Swansea weren't out of it yet, though, and pulled themselves back within a goal as Bafetimbi Gomis slotted home from close range after 66 minutes, although it proved too little, too late as the Premier League side suffered an early exit.

Full Report

Oxford started the game brightly and Roofe came close after nine minutes but couldn't keep his header on target, while Ryan Taylor went one better but saw his header smartly tipped over by Kristoffer Nordfeldt.

The hosts' early pressure eventually waned, though, and Swansea managed to pounce as Montero played a neat one-two with Marvin Emnes before producing an audacious backheel to put the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Jonjo Shelvey then came close to adding a second but couldn't find the target with a rasping volley, and they were soon made to pay for that miss as United drew themselves level, Sercombe blasting his penalty through the fingers of the goalkeeper after Kyle Bartley was harshly adjudged to have upended Alex MacDonald inside the area.

The traveling fans were then left shell-shocked four minutes into the second half as Oxford stormed into the lead, Roofe cutting in from the left before angling a curling shot into the bottom corner of the net.

The home supporters were soon in dreamland as their team went two goals clear, with Chris Maguire leading a blistering counter-attack before squaring for Roofe, who skipped past his man before slotting home from close range.

It was far from game over, though, as Swansea responded with 66 minutes gone on the clock, Jack Cork producing a clever reverse pass to play in Gomis, who took the time to steady himself before placing his shot past the keeper and into the back of the net.

Montero almost drew the teams level with what would have been a carbon copy of his opener, only for Oxford keeper Sam Slocombe to this time get down well to make the vital block.

Swansea then had Nordfeldt to thank for keeping them in the game with six minutes remaining as the keeper produced a wonderful reflex save to keep out Callum O'Dowda's venomous strike from 20 yards, while at the other end, Gomis came close to an equaliser but saw his snap shot deflected behind for a corner.

However, the damage had already been done as Swansea were unable to salvage a replay, with Oxford going through to the draw for the fourth round.