Leicester continue winning ways

League leaders Leicester City continued their impressive run of winning form as they clinched a 3-2 victory over Everton at a rainswept Goodison Park on Saturday.

  • Everton 2 Leicester 3
  • Mahrez nets penalty double
  • Lukaku pulls one back
  • Okazaki bags Leicester's third
  • Mirallas nets late consolation

Match summary

The first half ended in a 1-1 stalemate, with Romelu Lukaku cancelling out Riyad Mahrez's 28th-minute spot-kick.

Mahrez once again converted from the spot after the half-time break before Shinji Okazaki slotted home in the 70th minute to give his side a two-goal cushion.

Substitute Kevin Mirallas fired home in the 89th minute to ensure a tense finish to the contest, although Leicester just about managed to hold firm at the death.

Full report

The opening half-hour was devoid of any goal-mouth action, although Leicester made a bright start to the game as they went in search of an early goal.

The likes of Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy covered plenty of the pitch as the rain continued to pour down, but had nothing to show for it as an obstinate Everton defence held firm.

In fact, the first chance of note fell Ross Barkley on 27 minutes, but the Everton midfielder was unable to find the mark with an attempt on the half-volley following Romelu Lukaku's cross into the danger area.

He was made to rue that missed chance as Leicester broke quickly and won a penalty just one minute later. Ramiro Funes Mori was adjudged to have fouled Okazaki and Mahrez made no mistake from the resulting spot-kick, stroking the ball into the bottom-left corner.

Everton were quick to respond, though, and drew level just four minutes later, Lukaku slotting home after Barkley had seen two efforts in quick succession kept out by the Toffees defence.

Lukaku had a glorious chance to put his side in front in the 38th minute, but headed over the bar under pressure from goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

That was the last real chance of note in the first half as the scoreline remained unchanged heading into the half-time break.

However, there was plenty more action to come after the interval as both sides threw caution to the wind.

Leicester reclaimed the lead in the 65th minute, with Mahrez netting his second from the penalty spot after Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard had brought down Jamie Vardy in the danger area.

The Toffees were still reeling from Leicester's second goal when the Foxes struck again five minutes later, Japan international Okazaki hitting a first-time shot into the bottom-left corner following Vardy's squared pass.

Credit to the hosts, though, as they didn't let their heads drop and eventually reduced the deficit in the dying embers of the match to setup a tense finish. Substitute Kevin Mirallas netted the goal for the Toffees after latching on to a neat pass from Vardy.

Everton had a great chance to draw level from a free-kick in injury time, but Barkley's goal-bound effort was saved by Schmeichel in the Foxes goal.