Canaries edge out dominant Swans

Norwich City secured a vital three points as they battled to a 1-0 win over Swansea City at Carrow Road on Saturday afternoon.

  • Norwich 1 Swansea 0
  • Swansea dominate first-half possession
  • Opening period devoid of chances
  • Sigurdsson hits the cross bar
  • Howson taps home winner

Match Summary

Swansea City dominated the possession for much of the game, but for all their control, failed to really create any real scoring chances.

Gylfi Sigurdsson had a good chance to take the lead, but lifted his head to loft the ball onto and over the crossbar, before Jonny Howson netted a tap-in to secure the win.

Full Report

The start of the game was perhaps indicative of how the first half would play out as Wes Hoolahan launched an optimistic, yet dreadful, long-distance effort at goal right out of the gates.

Just moments later, Bafetimbi Gomis outdid his counterpart by making a hash of a volleyed effort from around 30 yards out.

Swansea kept much of the possession for large parts of the half, while Norwich looked content to try and hit the visitors on the break.

That strategy nearly paid dividends on 11 minutes when Cameron Jerome managed to get clear of his marker at a free kick, but could only fire his headed effort over the bar.

That was about as good as it got in the opening half as Swansea ended the first period with 75.4% possession, but with little to show for their dominance.

It was more of the same after break as neither side were able to craft any real goalscoring opportunities of note.

Swansea then had by far the best chance of the game on 65 minutes as Sigurdsson saw his scooped effort bounce off the cross bar after good interplay between Gomis and Wayne Routledge.

It was Norwich who would find the breakthrough, however, as Howson tapped home from close range after Dieumerci Mbokani had headed a corner down into the danger area.

Swansea continued to keep possession in the closing stages as they searched for an equaliser, but disappointing play in the final third meant they would leave Carrow Road empty handed.