Everton stun City to take slender lead

‘Ronaldo makes history in Portugal and Juve’ – Joao Cancelo

Everton will take a narrow advantage into the second leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final against Manchester City following a 2-1 win in the first leg on Wednesday.

  • Everton 2 Manchester City 1
  • Funes Mori opens the scoring
  • Navas nets crucial away goal
  • Lukaku restores one-goal lead

Match Summary

It was a tightly contested affair at Goodison Park, but Everton headed into the break with the lead after Ramiro Funes Mori tucked home a rebound just before the interval.

Jesus Navas briefly restored parity after a quick counter attack, but Romelu Lukaku restored the lead moments later to leave the tie finely poised going into the second leg at the Etihad.

Full Report

It was a cagey start from both sides, with neither side willing to give much away so early in the tie.

And City were the first to register a chance in the 24th minute when Nicolas Otamendi headed wide from a Kevin De Bruyne corner.

The Toffees then had two goals disallowed when Gareth Barry  was adjudged to be offside in the build-up for John Stones header in the 37th minute, before Lukaku too was offside before rolling the ball into the back of the net.

There would be no denying Everton, though, as Funes Mori slotted home from close range on the cusp of half-time after Ross Barkley had a fiercly-struck effort saved.

Gerard Delofeu nearly added to the lead on 57 minutes when he wrong-footed Willy Caballero, who barely kept out the Spaniard’s cross-cum-shot.

Joel Robles then had to be alert in the Everton goal in the 70th minute to keep out Sergio Aguero’s low-curled effort with a terrific save.

However, the Toffees stopper would be beaten just six minutes later when Navas rolled the ball into the far corner after being found in acres of space by Sergio Aguero following a lightning-quick counter-attack.

Everton responded almost immediately, though, when Lukaku rose highest to head a deft Gareth Barry cross past Caballero from close range.

There would be no further chances at goal as the Toffees set out to guard their slender lead for the remainder of the first leg.