Palace snatch late win at Anfield

A late header from Scott Dann saw Crystal Palace claim a 2-1 win over Liverpool in an enthralling encounter at Anfield on Sunday.

  • Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 2
  • Bolasie opens the scoring
  • Coutinho strikes again for the Reds
  • Dann heads home a late winner

Match Summary

Palace took the lead in the 21st minute when the ball was worked wide towards Wilfried Zaha, whose low cross should have been easily dealt with, but Emre Can failed to clear first time allowing Yannick Bolasie to steal in and unleash a ferocious effort into the back of the net.

With half-time approaching the Reds found an equaliser with another cultured finish from Philippe Coutinho, this time after Nathaniel Clyne's cross from the right flank eluded everyone on its way across the penalty area, falling to the Brazilian to stroke home not long before the break.

The game continued at a thrilling pace, with Liverpool carving out multiple half-chances, but it was Palace who struck the decisive blow when Dann came forward for Yohan Cabaye's corner. His initial header was straight at Simon Mignolet, but the Belgian keeper could only parry it straight back into his path, and he buried it at the second attempt.

Full Report

The visitors started brightly and made life difficult for Jurgen Klopp's side in the opening stages, but as the first 10 minutes passed the hosts began to settle and Coutinho got his first sight on goal.

The Eagles went ahead almost out of nowhere after some good work down the right flank saw Zaha cross it in. Although his ball across should have been dealt with first time it remained in the box, allowing Bolasie to take possession and fire in a powerful left-footed shot past the keeper.

As the half-hour mark came and went Chritian Benteke had a couple of half-chances to equalise, the first a strong header on Jordon Ibe's corner that forced Wayne Hennessey into a save, the second coming when Adam Lallana got down the right flank and cut it back for the Belgian at the near post, but he couldn't connect properly and bundled it wide.

The Reds did get the breakthrough just before the interval, with Coutinho finding the net yet again when Clyne's cross from the right flank somehow avoided everyone else in the box to fall to the Brazilian, who struck it neatly first time to curl beyond Hennessey.

The equaliser put the wind back into Liverpool's sails and they took the initiative to find a second just before the break. A few corners followed, but Dejan Lovren's blocked header, volleyed over by Lucas on the rebound, was the closest they came and Palace managed to hang on and regroup after the half-time whistle.

Liverpool started the second half quickly and Benteke was almost able to get a shot away inside the box after Coutinho had fed it through to him, but Pape Souare was alert to the danger and was able to smother it before the number nine could get his shot away.

Both sides were playing absorbing end-to-end football around the hour mark. The Eagles missed a great chance to reclaim the lead when Zaha powered forward past two defenders and played an inviting ball across for Sako, who could only find the side netting.

A minute later and Lallana and Alberto Moreno combined excellently down the left flank and sent a cross in towards Benteke, who rose high and headed on target, but Hennessey was equal to it.

There were numerous chances for both sides to claim a winner in the closing stages, but it was Palace who went ahead again from Cabaye's corner, with Dann meeting the set piece with a header straight at Mignolet that was parried back into his path, and he made no mistake on the follow up.

The Reds continued to press forward looking to salvage a point, and a thunderous strike from Coutinho could have done just that, but Hennessey was there to keep his effort out and a late onslaught from the hosts was weathered by the Eagles, who left Anfield with all three points.