As per the latest update in the European Golden Shoe standings for 2018-19, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi continues to enjoy a solid lead at the top of the charts, while arch-rival Cristiano Ronaldo lost his place within the top-ten.
Messi did not score in Barcelona’s most recent game against Real Sociedad, and his tally hence stays at 33 goals from last week (66 points). Second-placed Kylian Mbappe of Paris Saint Germain scored a hattrick against his former club Monaco on 22 April, thereby increasing his goal numbers from 27 to 30 (60 points).
It has been a while since Cristiano Ronaldo last scored a Serie A goal, as his tally remains at 19. He is currently at 11th spot in the standings. Ronaldo however, marked yet another league win of his career – with Juventus making sure of this season’s title with Sunday’s 2-1 win over Fiorentina.
The other top-10 players in the European Golden Shoe charts are:
3. Fabio Quagliarella (Sampdoria, Serie A – 22 goals, 44 points).
4. Mbaye Diagne (Kasimpasa/Galatasaray, Turkish League – 28 goals, 42 points).
5. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich, Bundesliga – 21 goals, 42 points).
6. Krzysztof Piatek (Genoa/AC Milan, Serie A – 21 goals, 42 points).
7. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid, La Liga – 21 goals, 42 points).
8. Duvan Zapata (Atalanta, Serie A – 21 goals, 42 points).
9. Luuk de Jong (PSV Eindhoven, Eredivisie – 27 goals, 40.5 points).
10. Luis Suarez (Barcelona, La Liga – 20 goals, 40 points).
Meanwhile, Lionel Messi has been incredible for Barcelona all season, and the Catalans will be interested in using that factor to their advantage as they get ready to face Liverpool in the Champions League semi-finals, soon enough.
Messi’s goals have more-or-less assured Barcelona of yet another La liga title, and that would be an added bonus for the Spanish giants