Frankie Edgar has denied Conor McGregor’s claim that the pair could have locked horns at UFC 222 this weekend.
McGregor has not entered the Octagon since November 2016, but amidst question marks over whether he will ever fight again, he said on social media last week that he was ready to return to UFC.
The Irishman also claimed that he had offered to lock horns with former UFC champion Edgar in Las Vegas, after original opponent Max Holloway pulled out through injury.
— UFC (@ufc) March 1, 2018
But as he prepares to face Brian Ortega on Saturday, Edgar has poured cold water on the possibility of taking on McGregor.
“I woke up from a nap and I saw it on Twitter,” Edgar told The MMA Hour. “That’s the first I heard of it.
“What, he wants to fight me? I mean, hey, that’d be great. That’d be great for me. Let’s be real. I’m not scared to fight anybody.
Q: Who is New Jersey’s finest?
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) March 1, 2018
“I think if it was real, Dana [White, UFC president] would’ve called me personally.
“He’s done before. With something like that, Dana would’ve called me personally, and he didn’t, so I have to think that it wasn’t real.”