Jones talks to media, tears into Cormier after weigh-in controversy

Jon Jones continued his feud with Daniel Cormier on Friday after the latter was involved in an extremely contentious UFC 210 weigh-in.

Drama ensued at the UFC 210 early weigh-ins on Friday morning after light heavyweight champion Cormier initially hit the scale at 206.2 pounds, meaning he was over weight for his title fight against Anthony “Rumble” Johnson.

Fighters are not given any allowance for championship fights so Cormier was required to weigh-in at 205 pounds or less.

However, he then returned just a few moments later and stepped back on the scale that now read 205 pounds.

Cormier and his team celebrated, but it was a strange set of circumstances how the two-time Olympian managed to lose 1.2 pounds in a matter of minutes as well as how he was allowed to weigh in a second time.

Thank you all the fans here in buffalo. You have been tremendous!!!!! #andstill

A post shared by Daniel "DC" Cormier (@dc_mma) on

Jones, who is currently suspended for a doping violation, is in Buffalo to watch the fight. He spoke to the media for the first time since the first of July and true to form he took the opportunity to throw a few verbal punches at long-time-rival Cormier.

“The crazy thing is that it was allowed to happen,” Jones said of the theatrics at the weigh-in.

“I would imagine there has to be some type of commission or something to go back and see this blatant foul play and address it. Nobody addressed it.

“They just basically got away with one of the dirtiest things I’ve seen in sports.

“That was absolutely nuts.

“I couldn’t believe what I was witnessing. I watched the guy. If you focus on his hands, you can see him looking down and like, balancing out his weight just right to make 205.

“What a clever trick. Very dishonest of him.”

Earlier in the week, Cormier warned Jones not to come into the octagon after the fight.

Jones said he will do as he pleases.

1% better everyday

A post shared by Jon Bones Jones (@jonnybones) on

“It was just some of the dumbest sh*t that I’ve ever heard,” Jones said of Cormier’s caution.

“I think he’s just really upset that I’m here. And it kind of stole some of his spotlight, which was definitely not my intention.

“He hates me. That’s safe to say. I annoy him a lot and that definitely works to my advantage, to be so deep in this guy’s head.”

Those were just a few tasty quotes from Jones media meeting.

He also referred to himself as “the greatest mixed martial artist who’s ever walked this planet” and lamented that if not for taking a sexual-enhancement pill, which he says led to the positive test, he would have already regained the title he has now lost twice due to suspensions.

Jones, 29, beat Cormier in 2015 via unanimous decision to retain the light heavyweight title. Jones was stripped of the belt months later when he was arrested on a hit-and-run charge. The former champ was reinstated last year, beat Ovince Saint Preux in April 2016 and then was supposed to meet Cormier, now the titleholder, in the main event of UFC 200 last July. But three days before the event, Jones was pulled due to a failed drug test.

His current suspension ends a week before UFC 213.

Comments