Velasquez to undergo surgery after Werdum fight

Cain Velasquez will be going under the knife once again after his rematch with Fabricio Werdum at UFC 207 on December 30. 

Velasquez did not go into details about the reason why he needed surgery, but confirmed that it would take place after his bout with Werdum, who defeated him via submission in the third round at UFC 188 in June last year to become the UFC heavyweight champion. 

Despite already having had seven operations, Velasquez has still managed to prove himself as one of the toughest competitors in the heavyweight division. 

"I wanted to talk about something that I know far too well," Velasquez said. "My first fight in the UFC was in 2008. Since that time, I've had seven surgeries. Two meniscus surgeries, one MCL surgery on my right knee, taking cartilage out of my left elbow, both shoulder I've had torn labrums that needed repairing, and back surgery. I have a fight Dec. 30. After that fight, I'm already scheduled for my next surgery."

Having succumbed to injuries on a frequent basis, Velasquez was delighted to have joined the Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association as he believes the organisation will help campaign for better health policies for fighters. 

"It's not just for me, it's for other UFC fighters who are going through the same thing and have gone through the same thing," Velasquez said. "For us, in the future, there is no post-retirement health plan. That's why I think it's important for what we're doing now, us fighters coming together and having the rest of the UFC roster come together to make our lives better now and in the future."

Should Velasquez triumph over Werdum later this month, he is likely to be first in line for a title shot against reigning heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic. However, his surgery could make things a lot more complicated as it could lead to someone else receiving a title fight before him. 

Comments