UFC president Dana White claims he is in the dark over Conor McGregor’s decision to obtain a boxing licence.
McGregor was awarded the right to box earlier this week by the California State Athletic Commission, despite no professional boxing bouts to his name.
The Irishman – who has been linked with a big-money cross-code clash against Floyd Mayweather – raised plenty of eyebrows with the move, yet White has stressed that the lightweight champion remains under contract with UFC.
If you get a bang of one of these go toward the light pic.twitter.com/mTqoj8YDd8
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) December 2, 2016
“I have no idea what Conor is doing," White told Yahoo Sports.
"Conor is Conor. He does his thing. But he's under contract to me. Who knows with this guy? Who knows what he is up to? I just let Conor be Conor.
"It is fun to talk about this fight and what might happen, but what commission would let that fight happen? Really, think about that."
McGregor became UFC’s first two-weight champion last month, yet he was stripped of the featerweight belt last weekend, with no prospect of a title defence until May.
— Michael Conlan (@mickconlan11) December 2, 2016
Jose Aldo – who was beaten by McGregor in just 13 seconds for the championship – was handed the belt back, with Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis fighting next week to be the number one contender.
White added: “At the end of the day, him [McGregor] doing that tied up the division for a year. There's a logjam there and a lot of guys were [angry].
"This was my way to fix the logjam. I wanted Aldo to fight Holloway for the belt, but he needed more time.
“So I looked at it and I said, well, it makes sense to make Aldo the champion and then have Holloway and Pettis fight for the interim title, and when Jose's ready, barring any crazy injuries, the winner can fight him."