White reveals what’s next for McGregor, Woodley

There has been a lot of speculation about what the future holds for Conor McGregor and Tyron Woodley, but UFC president Dana White has finally set the record straight.

McGregor will be facing Nate Diaz in a rematch at UFC 202 on August 20 and while the Irishman has openly admitted that he wants a trilogy fight against the Stockton native, it doesn’t seem that will happen any time soon.

This is due to the fact that White has said that McGregor will return to the featherweight division to put his title on the line against Jose Aldo, who McGregor defeated in just 13 seconds back at UFC 194 in December to be crowned champion.

Since then, McGregor has not had a title defence and with Aldo having won the interim featherweight title by beating Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 last month, White believes it’s time that the 28-year-old returns to the division he is used to competing in.

“I fully expect Conor to come back and defend his 145-pound title,” White told UFC.com.

Meanwhile, Woodley recently won the welterweight title when he knocked out Robbie Lawler in the first round at UFC 201 on July 30.

After winning the title, Woodley revealed that he wanted his first title defence to be against Nick Diaz or Georges St-Pierre, but the 34-year-old will not be getting his wish as White has confirmed that Stephen Thompson will be next in line for a title shot as he is currently on a seven-fight winning streak.

“I think that Nate feels his brother should have the fight at 170, but Nick is not going to come back and fight for the title right away,” White said. “There are other guys deserving of a title shot. Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson is going to fight for the 170-pound title and then we’ll see what happens with Nick and Nate.”

Comments